Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ti-cylinders?

SpeedStick

Anyone have extensivie information on Ti-cylinders?

A gentlemen called from Wisconsin, I'm in Az, asking questions on why he was having problems with extraction from his 45 Gap in a 625. He said Randy Lee, thanks Randy, gave him my name. I remember, somewhere in the back of my brain (ha) :wacko: that people were having problems with Ti-cyliners and brass casings sticking. And if I remember right? nickle cases helped the problem.

Does anyone or has anyone been through these problems? And if so, what did you do to cure the problem? Has it got to do with too much pressure? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Here's my SWAG:

The pressures in the GAP brass are higher than for the same PF in .45 acp. The other issue is the headspacing. With the GAP brass, you are headspacing off the moonclip rather than the cylinder itself. This can cause a myriad of problems from firing pin bushing erosion, erratic ignition, swelling in the web of the case as well as sticky extraction. The Ti chambers are not as smooth as the steel counterparts and can be lightly polished. Care must be taken so as not to wear thru the Melonite surface conversion. A light polish using a felt bob and jeweler's rouge can be helpful. The 646 in .40 S&W had similar problems running major PF if I recall.

The working pressures for 45acp at a 168 PF (230 gr. fmj) are substantially less and show no evidence of sticky extraction in my frankengun.

Sorry, this is the limit of my experience with the GAP brass...

Edited by Randy Lee

I have about 500 rounds through the Ti cylinder in my 625 using starline brass at about 168 -170 PF with 230 gr berrys plated RN bullets. I have never noticed any sticking at all. I don't think I could shut the cylinder any faster if using the marginally shorter Gap brass. Chris

I have about 500 rounds through the Ti cylinder in my 625 using starline brass at about 168 -170 PF with 230 gr berrys plated RN bullets. I have never noticed any sticking at all. I don't think I could shut the cylinder any faster if using the marginally shorter Gap brass. Chris

I'm coming up on ~2000 .45ACP Starline 230/185 lead/Berry's plated through mine ranging from 125pf ICORE loads to ~175 IPSC loads. I'm not seeing any sticking. I turned a sub 7 second El Presidente at my last match. My reloads don't seem to be my limitation. I shoot too slow and yank the sights off the "A" zone.

Of course, if I were you I'd put that SS cylinder back in. I'll give you $50.00 for that old used Ti cylinder. I'll even pay shipping. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I can't just put the SS cyl back in very well now - it is in the doner 325 somewhere with its new owner in Ohio. NOW S&W will sell the 45 Ti cyl by its lonesome. Oh well. I liked it so much I just received a 7 shot L frame Ti and an 8 shot 327 cyl. I'll report back when Randy gets done with them. Chris

Sorry, but I can't just put the SS cyl back in very well now - it is in the doner 325 somewhere with its new owner in Ohio. NOW S&W will sell the 45 Ti cyl by its lonesome. Oh well. I liked it so much I just received a 7 shot L frame Ti and an 8 shot 327 cyl. I'll report back when Randy gets done with them. Chris

[wispering] Sorry, I meant the offer to buy to go to SpeedStick. ;)