Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody use Ramshot ZIP for 147gr plated?

Thomas918

I have 4lbs that I got for $24 for each pound and was working up loads. I had a large extreme deviation on a lower power factor load(134). Also the load data lists 3.5gr(822fps) to 3.9gr(902fps) for a plated rainier 147gr. My 3.5gr had a fps of 894 and 3.7gr had no real change in FPS. I always feel uneasy when my load doesn't line up with published loads, at least somewhat closely. Also worked up a load for coated lead at 3.2gr and got a fps of 700-750 which is way off the published data.

Anybody have experience loading with this powder?

Screenshot_20230116-214942.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just finished developing a load using Zip with a 124gr Everglades plated bullet. I also used the Rainier RN data as my benchmark.

My velocities were close to what they published, but higher across the board, by 20-30fps on avg. The barrel I used for testing was 0.3” longer than theirs, I load to a COL that was 0.035” shorter, different primers, different bullets and mixed brass.  So my results line up similar enough to theirs. Their 4.6gr load was 1067, my 4.6gr load was 1096. My ES and SD numbers look similar to yours though. Below is my last 10 shot string:72433434-711D-476D-AA91-2A37344FA913.thumb.png.efa7080dff3b5c2ec71ddafc12713f58.png

What is your velocity/pf goal?  

My goal is make around 128 power factor. The problem is with the large extreme deviation I can't be at that level because it will dip under the minor power factor threshold. The fps dip low and I can feel the recoil difference too. I may have to do some more testing but I don't have too much confidence in how much deviation it has at a normal load level. I could drop the grain by .1 and seat deeper by .020 to increase some pressure for more efficient burn. I can understand a real light bunny load having high ES but it's a normal power load. I will stick to sport pistol and n320/330. 

It would at least be interesting to see if those changes made a difference. 

My load using HP38 that produces nearly identical performance to this Zip load gives me much better ES & SD numbers.  But I was able to get a bunch of Zip powder at a great price, so for practice and plinking, it serves a purpose for me.