Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Autodrive build

Has anyone built an autodrive for a dillon 1050, and if so, how hard was it to do so? I've been kicking around the idea of making one for my 1050 due to the shortage of autodrives on the market, not to mention the price. I've looked at the ponsness model but identifying the proper parts are a challenge. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. Chain drives with a VFD are pretty "easy" for most machinists/engineers to assemble on a 1050/1100. Mounting a dumb motor isn't the hard part of automation. It's giving the system the ability to "think" and the user interface. If you just want a drive where you hit a button to go and a button to stop that wouldn't be too difficult. You will probably break/damage a lot of parts if you don't implement some sort of clutch.

If I were you I'd just buy the mark 7. It's quick, easy, and it works. My main complaint is the bullet sensor is pretty dismal for a $300 sensor. But running preprocessed brass helps a lot and the bullet sense isn't really necessary at that point. Also the Mk7 has a large footprint and it can be limiting on where to mount standalone bullet feeders. 

Edited by ezra650