Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Efficient Pro 1000 Technique

CC3D

Ive been loading on the Pro 1000 now for about a year and a half, and have 6000+ rounds loaded so far. It's been good to me, but it will soon be time to upgrade. I wanted to quickly share the technique that I use to run my pro 1000 as efficiently and safely as possible over the past few thousand rounds. 

I do not trust the priming system on this machine. It is the only shortcoming this little press has in my opinion. For this reason, I load my cases in 2 steps. Step one: resize/ deprime all cases and prime them. Step 2: the rest of the process. I do this by buying a second tool head that has the resize deprime die. They are 12 bucks and super easy to switch in and out. By priming in a separate step, you're able to pay closer attention to the priming system and have less issues fixing it when problems do arise. It also allows you to check that primers were seated properly before completing the round. I really like doing this step in isolation. This method also allows you to run a powder check and bullet feeder in the second step! You free up a position for a powder check when you resize and prime separately. 

Running it this way gives me peace of mind and less of a headache. I find that I need to pause and fiddle less when I use this method. Give it a shot if you want to run a bullet feeder and powder check on a Pro 1000.