Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Star mag, failure of follower

I have a Shooting Star magazine which has suddenly developed a looseness in the follower such that it wobbles forwards and backwards.  Sometimes when I shoot it dry, the follower lip moves forward outside the confines of the tube and causes the magazine to jam.  Yea, I've been dropping it practicing mag changes.

Any way to tighten it up?  Maybe its come partly away from its connection to the spring?  How do you do the 'twist & lift' to get the follower & spring out of a welded-base body?

Black, my Shooting Star mags have a little metal clip underneath that is part of the follower.  This clip is where the spring attaches to the follower on mine.  If this clip were to break off, there would be no attachment of follower to spring in my mags.   If the spring is no longer attached to the follower, you can depress the follower into the mag body with a squib rod and trap the spring by inserting an 1/8" punch through one of the side holes.  If the spring and follower aren't attached,  the follower can be shaken out of the mag body.  I'm going to stop here, for me, mag tuning is hard to describe and easy to regret.   But, more than once I've been glad that I was wearing shooting glasses when messing with gun springs.   :)