Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open G34 Major 9mm

doublex

Guys, I have read many pages in the forums of this site and have found much information on G34 open guns. I see that G34 open guns are not that common and I did not see anything recent. I saw some references to factory slides cracking with 9mm major but I did not understand the reasons for that. Are there components available now where one could build an inexpensive G34 open gun using the stock slide without fear of cracking it with 9mm major?

What is the advantage or disadvantage of using a slide mounted optic instead of a frame mounted optic?

Are barrels with ports that vent through the stock slide opening available and are they effective without an externally mounted compensator?

If the stock slide is prone to cracking, are there aftermarket slides available that are more durable?

It is very possible to build an Open gun on a G34. The key to making them live is selecting the right parts and carefully controlling the slide velocity.

Most of the ones we build use barrel porting combined with a 3 chamber comp and a JPoint dot buried into the slide. We recommend using a bullet weight from 124 to 135gr. The heavier bullet weight helps keep slide velocity down. We haven't had major part failures and that includes no broken slides.

It is very possible to build an Open gun on a G34.  The key to making them live is selecting the right parts and carefully controlling the slide velocity.

Most of the ones we build use barrel porting combined with a 3 chamber comp and a JPoint dot buried into the slide. We recommend using a bullet weight from 124 to 135gr. The heavier bullet weight helps keep slide velocity down. We haven't had major part failures and that includes no broken slides.

Do a search on mine. it is an open 34 that runs great. helped put together by some of the people in this forum, especially experimentalmachining.