Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Svi And Factory Ammo

RayKu

Help. I recently made the plunge and purchased an SVi Dot Tracker in .40 S&W for IPSC Limited. The pistol works great, but has occaisional feeding problems. Once in a while, the bullet appears to get lodged in the ramp. Following the advice in other threads, I have cleaned and polished the ramp, breachface, and magazines which are also new with new springs both SVI Mages, and Dawson Tuned.

The guys in my club believe that the feeding problem is most likely caused by my factory ammo (Winchester, Wally World, White Box), and ammo length. When we fed a mag with longer loads, we had no problems. Then again, my mags run just fine at least 75% of the time. (And, yes, the problems appears to occur regardless of which magazine I am using).

Aside from investing in a Dillon which I cannot afford right now:

1) are there any ways to tune the gun to consistently run factory length ammo if that is the problem (stronger or weaker recoil spring, different extractor, magazine springs, etc.)? or

2) are there affordable factory loads in longer lenths?

Thanks in advance!

Finally, found BE's post on spring bending for SV followers. It led me to check all my mag springs which have now been bent to the appropriate shape. On a couple the lower coil was bent in an odd manner which may have been contributing to the misfeeds. When I handfed rounds, there were no problems even if a lighter recoil spring (12# wolf) and one buf (Wilson) added into the setup. We will see how it shoots at the range, and after some more polishing of the feed ramp per BE's earlier posts on finicky .40's.