Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Drill

boo radley

I know this comes up from time to time, but I've been shooting this fairly often, and remain in *awe* of how challenging this drill is to shoot @10yards or meters, and I wonder how many folks can run it clean. I still can't -- not a 10 yards. 7yards, yes, if I'm very careful and patient with the weak-hand only dot.

I started using those "shoot 'n see" 3" dots, but they were too distracting, and I started looking for the hits, instead of the sight.

Man, it's oh-so-tempting to rush the easy dots, too....

Shot this tonight @10y. %&*^(*!$*

http://www.sierrafirearms.com/Dot%20drill.htm

dot.jpg

Stick with it, learning good fire control is well worth the effort. You speak of standing in awe of guys who can shoot it clean. That reminds me of how we relate to our individual experiences and background. When I first saw an El Pres shot in 8 seconds by a C class shooter, I was in awe. On the flip side, guys who cross over into IPSC from the precision shooting sports are pretty hard to impress in the accuracy arena. :lol:

Stick with it, learning good fire control is well worth the effort. You speak of standing in awe of guys who can shoot it clean. That reminds me of how we relate to our individual experiences and background. When I first saw an El Pres shot in 8 seconds by a C class shooter, I was in awe. On the flip side, guys who cross over into IPSC from the precision shooting sports are pretty hard to impress in the accuracy arena.  :lol:

Actually, in the cold light of day, I'm not *THAT* much in "awe" -- but it is difficult in a sneaky way, at that distance; the weak hand shooting dot, especially.

I do agree with you about perspective. Seems at every match people in the squad are experts in "other" shooting disciplines, because I keep hearing: "Well, I'm REALLY a Bullseye/Hi-Power/Silhouette shooter, and this focus on speed....." :)