Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 For 3-gun -- Change Barrel? Other Q's

boo radley

I'm not sure what disease has struck me, considering I'm well on my way to being a "D-class" IPSC shooter, but the notion of 3-gun, or multi-gun matches, is suddenly seeming like a rational interest.

If, say, I *were* going to try 'em, I'd need a shotgun, and lo! I have a shotgun -- an old Remington 870 Express, that I used to shoot quite a bit, messing around with clays, on doves...

Anyway -- this shotgun has a 26" vented-rib barrel, and a single bead sight on the end. What kind of features (accessories) would I need to consider? It ain't the lightest shotgun. Would a 20" barrel help? I see some are available for about $119, new, with rifle-sights. I hate spending that kind of money, if it's not necessary.

Second question -- ammo carriers. I've seen some pictures of shell holders that mount on the side of the receiver, and are especially useful for weak hand reloading..... What kind of madness is this??? Does everyone in 3-gun know this technique?? The only way I've ever reloaded my 870 is to unshoulder it, flip it on its side, or upside down, and shove shells in its belly. Would I be OK in local matches, simply loading from a hunting vest with shell loops? Thx!

Man. 3-gun seems like a wet-dream for the firearms accessories mfg'rs. I haven't even gotten to the rifle part, yet. <sigh>

I used a 870 when I started 3 gun competition and my best advice would be to not spend too much in upgrades to it because you will end up with an autoloader.

You can pick up a simple meg tube extension and a simple side saddle for about $50. That is the only thing that you really need to shoot 3-gun with the 870.

There are as meany different ways to reload a shotgun as there are shotgunners. I am sure there are some posts here about different loading methods. Use whatever works best for you.

I always try to counsel folks to run what ya got until you are are sure that you love the game, then you can spend money. In other words, shoot your pistol (whatever it is), shot gun (whatever it is, even a double), and any autoloading rifle or carbine (whatever it is, including M-1 Rifle, 30 Carbine, Kalishnakov, Mini14). Then there is the He-Man game, where .45 pistols, pump shotguns and .30 cal rifles are the rule. A shooter with decent action pistol, M870 with a long magazine, and issue grade AR15 has guns that give up a lot less time than their shooting will for awhile.

The big deal in the shotgun game is loading. Loading is what sets the time for most stages. You can shoot a M870 empty far faster than you can reload it, and everybody shooting an auto is doing the same thing you are. So, practice stuffing shells into the gun. An autoeject double is not terrible if you are fast about breaking it and popping another pair of shells into it. Think about that...

Your M870 with an extended mag and a side saddle will pretty well take care of things. In Michigan, we shoot shotgun stages at 25 yards and less, so the bead and long barrel really is not much of an issue. Maybe NC is different, check with some folks who shoot locally to be sure.

The big thing is to take some big pieces of paper to the pattern board and see where your gun puts its patterns at several distances. Same for slugs if they get used in your neck of the woods. I have seen more misses with bird shot on 10 yard targets because the shooter did not know where to put the bead and the pattern was small.

At LAMR, you can load from the box or a pocket, it is no big deal if you are slow. For loading during the stage, the side saddle works fine, but around here, you will frequently need a couple more rounds to finish each stage. Pockets work for a while. I bought a couple of belt mounted shell trays (they are talked about elsewhere on this forum) to speed my loading on the clock.

Loading from the side saddle (or belt) can be done several ways, which are also talked about elsewhere on this forum. All of them involve pulling the shells from the bottom of the sidesaddle. Then you can do the Cooley twist (maintain your weakhand grip and roll the gun towards you) for strong hand loading or high and tight for weakhand loading. Both work.

So, know where your gun hits, and practice your loading. If you love the game, you have lots of options. We'll all be here to talk about that too

Billski

The least expensive solution is to get a 10-shell (total) capacity tube extension and an extended skeet choke. Skeet is a good choke out to 30 yards, and you can use it for slugs as well. Keep your Remington factory original flush modified choke for courses of fire with steel at 30-40 yards. You can load 10+1 for Open. Many shotgun side matches do not seperate Limited, or split shotguns by pumps and autos. Most Standard/Limited matches will let you load no more than 8 in the tube (8+1 at start), and you can put your factory origninal -2 plug in if the tube capacity must be physically restricted. I got my Dave Metal Works extension tube from Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection (see Favorite Links on Schennberg.com). Chuck also has the 8-shell (total) capacity tube extension if you want to shoot Standard/Limited always. You can still use it on your 26" barrel for now, and buy a shorter barrel or complete shotgun when you feel it will help you shoot faster.

Richard