Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On Starting And Standing

Catfish

Need some help here.

I've been hitting Anderson's book pretty hard. And it's showing!

I've noticed that what I previously thought was a good shooting stance had my feet a bit wide. I brought them closer together, and it's really helped on starting to move.

My question is what can I do during the COF to ensure that my stance stays agressive throughout? Starting position, and the first array or so, I'm leaning well into it, staying balanced, and controlling the recoil very well. I noticed at the Arkansas Sectional a week or so ago that I tend to, at the end of the stage, relax and wind up standing straight up - especially if it involves shooting through a port.

Any tips on how to stay aggressive 100% through the stage?

thx

Are you sure aggressive is the right goal? :)

It might be, but I've never thought of it that way.

Stance is dictated by your setup, and setups are a huge part of good field course shooting.

Here's a drill that will be in R&R pt 2:

Start anywhere, with the gun in a one handed movement position. (Gun in strong hand, held up high as if you were running with it)

Move to an undefined position (not a box) and acquire an acceptable sight picture on a target of medium difficulty. Seek to have your sight picture started as the first foot lands, and perfect on or before the second foot hits. Modify by using harder or easier targets.

Over time, your setups and stance will just happen, and wll naturally be quicker.

SA