Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 Lrn And V V 320?

boo radley

I've been shooting 200gr Oregon Trail LaserCast SWC's with 4.7gr of V V 320, and extremely pleased with how accurate and mild this load is.

I ran out of bullets, however, and picked up 500 230gr lead round-nose hard-cast bullets. Anyone have a suggestion for a starting load? V V lists some specs for the standard 230gr FMJ, but not lead-cast. Would you expect the same amount of powder, or suggest starting at slightly less with a cast bullet.

thx

I've been shooting 200gr Oregon Trail LaserCast SWC's with 4.7gr of V V 320, and extremely pleased with how accurate and mild this load is.

I ran out of bullets, however, and picked up 500 230gr lead round-nose hard-cast bullets. Anyone have a suggestion for a starting load? V V lists some specs for the standard 230gr FMJ, but not lead-cast. Would you expect the same amount of powder, or suggest starting at slightly less with a cast bullet.

thx

Generally if you can not find a specific load for cast and there is one for less, I tend to load a few tenths less depending on the specific powder and the quantities involved.

If in doubt, load 50 rounds, 10 at each powder charge and start low, fire each set at the chrono, and see where you need to be.

IMHO

Thx, both of you -- I was thinking of starting around 4.5gr, so that sounds about right.

Did some testing, yesterday:

230LRN with 4.8gr 320 and ~1.270oal: av. 798 fps with CV of .63% PF 184

230LRN with 4.5gr 320 and ~1.270oal: av. 748 fps with CV of 1.3% PF 172

This was out of a Kimber with a 5" barrel. The latter was a pretty gentle load for major, though I still prefer 200gr SWC's.

I also clocked the same loads out of a Caspian 'Commander'-sized 1911 I had with me, and lost 50fps consistently out of the 4" barrel. No surprise there -- especially with the shorter sight radius, I don't think I'll be using it for IPSC.