Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple 6-shot Targets And "l-8"

Still really new to all this, and shot a fun match recently that has had me thinking ever since, and I'm wondering what more experienced shooters would think/do....

Here's the deal: those of use shooting single-stacks were limited to 8(+1), which I was. 6 targets -- 4 shots to the body, 2 to the head, err, upper A/B.

I thought, hmm...put 4 in the center of the first target, move up, shoot two, move exactly horizontally (targets were same distance/height) and put two in the upperA/B of the 2nd target, then reload, etc., like a square sine wave pattern. The problem is, this got confusing as hell after the 2nd target, especially when my pistol jammed.

Someone else, with a lot more experience, said he'd shoot it by reloading between targets, and he'd never have to re-aquire the same target, and the extra reload he'd have to do, was inconsequential.

In retrospect, I'd have to agree. It seems like even simple arithmetic and reloading plans, weigh on my mind like a bad divorce, when I get to the line.

Actually, I think you were on the right track for the speed option. You could also do - 4 to lower A of first two targets. Reload. 4 to lower A of 2nd two targets. Reload. Two to each upper A/B. Either way saves a whole reload over the more "experienced" shooter's plan - which would amount to 1-2 seconds. That's pretty significant. I think my plan is a little easier to keep up with, mentally :)

Reloads don't matter if there's significant movement, but when standing still they can make a big difference.

I agreed with ya right up until that last line XRe.

Reloads absolutely DO matter if there is significant movement.

Take 2 people with the same footspeed. Have one of them complete the reload in the first step, and the other complete the reload about halfway to the next position and see who wins.

Take 2 people with the same footspeed. Have one of them complete the reload in the first step, and the other complete the reload about halfway to the next position and see who wins.

But they're both still doing a reload ;) Execution of said reload is obviously important - and I didn't say you could be sloppy and slow about it!!! :lol: But, technique and execution were not what I was getting at....

My point (which I guess wasn't clear) was that if you have significant movement involved, the difference between *performing* a reload and *not performing* a reload gets somewhat soaked up - vs. in a speed shoot where a reload is directly reflected in your time. How you choose to make the reload will determine just how much is soaked up.

To put it another way - there may be scenarios in a field course where you make an extra reload (or two) on the move to avoid a standing reload. Would you agree that reloading on the move is faster in that case (assuming reasonable execution) than a standing reload???? That's what I'm getting at.... ;)

Actually, I think you were on the right track for the speed option. You could also do - 4 to lower A of first two targets. Reload. 4 to lower A of 2nd two targets. Reload. Two to each upper A/B. Either way saves a whole reload over the more "experienced" shooter's plan - which would amount to 1-2 seconds. That's pretty significant. I think my plan is a little easier to keep up with, mentally :)

Ha ha ha! I didn't even think of that option -- it makes perfect sense!! Man...This is why I'm finding this sport like...the most fun thing EVER, now that I'm married, anyway. :)

Thx XRE and Jake...Let me ask this, though. Suppose 10 yards of movement needed, from point A -> B, as well as a reload. I think it would be faster for me to reload without moving from point A, then concentrate on running as fast as possible to point B, rather than try to reload during the dash. Is that more or less the "text-book" approach?

I think it would be faster for me to reload without moving from point A, then concentrate on running as fast as possible to point B, rather than try to reload during the dash. Is that more or less the "text-book" approach?

IDEALLY - you'd hit the reload as you were taking the first step out of point A. It's not so much doing both at the same time, but you're getting the weight shift and movement started as you concentrate on the reload. However, that's an advanced technique. As a beginner, you're best off with "one thing at a time" - so, yeah, doing the reload, and then hauling butt is probably your best bet, until you can practice the other way some (and are hitting your reloads reliably).