Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Woes

Garrett

Either the carrier latch is not catching the carrier (and the gun closes again immediately) or something else is tripping the carrier latch.

It sounds like you have two things wrong at the same time, and I know that while it is possible, it is not likely...

Does your action lock open when shot empty with a standard load? With a heavy load? When operated manually?

Okay, I might have caused part of the problem. I have an easy-loader gate on my gun that still needs to be tuned. I started working on it, but it's not perfect yet. It used to have a "hair trigger" on the easy-loader. If I were to lock the bolt back, I barely had to breathe on the easy-loader, and the bolt would close. It's better than that now, but still needs work. Because of this, it also will not always lock open when the last round is fired. So yes - it is likely that there are two things wrong here.

I'm going to try a stronger mag spring next chance I get. Follow that by fixing the easy-loader and I should be good.

Billski, thanks for the offer. But as you figured, it's a bit of a drive. :P

Garrett,

With mine in my hands, I had come up some ideas.

First, and you got there first, is "do you have an loading ramp, and does it have enough free travel?". They need some travel before release, or the vibrating that they do during the firing cycle will trip the release or never let the action lock open. In the case of locking and then releasing, the action would start to close before the next round from the mag got into position, and probably jam up the works. In the case of never locking open, you might not release a shell from the magazine at all and get exactly the failure you have. The solution in either case is to adjust the Easyloader to give more free travel and make sure that the leaf spring is indeed in place...

Second issue that might be getting you is the intercepter latch. If after getting the Easyloader working cleanly and you still get a failure to feed a round from the magazine, leave the action closed, roll the gun over and look at the magazine. If the ammo and gun are working ok here, the next round should be resting against the feed latch (the spring one that is staked in). If instead it is forward of the intercepter latch (the pivoting one), something has to be chased down there. So, check that the latches moves freely, that their springs are returning them to position. The feed latch is its own spring, while the intercepter has a torsion wound coil spring that should hold it out of the way except when the trigger has been pulled. Also check that the the link that moves the intercepter latch (in the trigger group) is moving freely with hammer release and returns when the hammer is cocked. Does the intercepter latch look OK, or has it been damaged or over relieved to allow easy feeding?

You can check the intercepter latch without firing (dummy shells please) by closing the action and pull the trigger. This should rotate the latch into the feed path of the second shell in the mag, and be forward of the rim on the first one allowing it to feed. If you can easily push a round past the intercepter latch and get it caught on the other side, let's hope that a new intercepter latch fixes it, because putting material back on the inside of the mag tube and reciever is hard to do.

Report back, OK, this is getting interesting. Any other comments out there?

Billski