Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para 16 40 Pro Custom Mag issue

JFoley001

Hello All,

Just picked up a 16 40 PC and have taken it to the range twice in as many days. 250 rds down the tube, one of two mags is falling out under recoil. The para mag fit to frame is sloppy on both mags to say the least, but they measure within .001" of each other at the mag catch slot. I can insert an empty mag, hear and feel the catch positively engage, and can pull the mag from the base plate out of the gun. Examining the mag catch and the witness marks on the shelf reveal only a few thousandths of engagement with the magazine. Deductive reasoning has led me to the following:

- Its possible replacing the mag catch might get me one with a few more thousandths of shelf to engage the mag slot.

-Its possible the catch is not fully seating in the bore on the left hand side of the frame and cutting the stop back (on the catch) a few thou on the catch may do the trick.

-the mag catch bore was drilled a few thou too shallow where the catch bottoms in the bore on the left hand side of the frame.

Would appreciate any feedback on this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

What did you find? Thanks in advance!

Problem temporarily solved. Massaged the upper ledge on the mag outward and toward the catch, polished up the edhe a bit and cant pull the mag out to save my life. Will try it with the weight of a full mag at the range and update.

My RIA Big Rock 10mm uses the same Para 16 round .40 magazines (ships with one from the factory and that is what you get from Greg Cote as well) and it is doing the same thing. I was only getting a sliver of engagement between the mag release and the mag slot. I verified that the mag was properly inserted and I had nothing touching the release button. Still, I had a rash of the the Big Rock taking a Big Poop after a shot and releasing the magazine at my feet.

While I was waiting for RIA to send me a replacement mag release I ordered a Dawson Posi-Lock 2011 mag release. The OD of the button was .283 and the bore in the frame was .280. I turned the button down to .279 and it grabbed and held the magazines wonderfully. But it is designed for either a thinner magazine and/or a thicker frame because the magazine does release when you push the button but the land of the mag release on the button side traps the magazine. So you either have to train yourself under pressure to only press the mag release button "soooo" much or press and then release just a little before releasing completely. That is no good for competition and it was too much material to remove for me to bother with it any farther.

My replacement mag release arrived from RIA today and the engagement is much better. If I was not too stupid to post a picture I could show a comparison between the two (or three) but the difference is obvious. I am heading to the range in the morning to see if my problem is solved. I will let you know how it goes.

i believe the problem is that the magazine area in the frame is just slight too large, as to let the magazine tube move freely. Not ensuring a positive lock onto the magazine catch lip.

I myself, would get a welder to weld a bead onto the catch and then file, shape it to where you want it, to securely hold the magazine tube in place.

After welding a bead, you can look from the bottom of the mag tube (empity and inserted in the frame), you can see how far the mag. catch lip is into the tube. By pressing on the mag. catch and removing the tube you file the lip down, enough to clear the frame wall, ensuring the tube will fall out, completely, without hanging up on it.

BTW, by using this weld method, you can easily convert your gun to use S_I/S_V, magazines. A better option.

IMO