Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 650 Setup

Rikarin

Whoa! Dishwasher! If I was your wife, you'd be banbished to basement! :P

But youa re right. It's basically same logic as laundry but didn't you notice I am type A? I don't want scrach my washer/dryer... and no patio/deck. :(

Rikarin, at some point you are going to need a tumbler, have a patio or deck? I have put brass in a mesh laundry bag and washed them in the dish washer or run them thru the washer&dryer with throw rugs and cleaning rags ect. Just make sure they are really dry.----Larry

Oh, thats great idea! And foot rest part too ;) I also can ban my cats from using bathroom for a while a while and run it the bathroom. But I have to come up with dough first :(

Calhunter and BritinUSA I will check out the solution stuff. thanks for the info.

Just an idea...

I don't like the noise of the tumbler nor the dust.  I have to tumble my brass inside my apartment so I put my tumbler inside of a trunk like this:

15960_59066_sq250.jpg

I also store my extra media inside, next to the tumbler.  Makes for very quite tumbling and easy cleanup!

They probably come in white (or blue to match your Dillon) with wooden trim and I bet it would store nicely under your bench in your closet... could double as a foot rest while reloading, too.  ;)

:D

Oh, thats great idea! And foot rest part too ;) I also can ban my cats from using bathroom for a while a while and run it the bathroom. But I have to come up with dough first :(

Calhunter and BritinUSA I will check out the solution stuff. thanks for the info.

Just an idea...

I don't like the noise of the tumbler nor the dust.  I have to tumble my brass inside my apartment so I put my tumbler inside of a trunk like this:

I also store my extra media inside, next to the tumbler.  Makes for very quite tumbling and easy cleanup!

They probably come in white (or blue to match your Dillon) with wooden trim and I bet it would store nicely under your bench in your closet... could double as a foot rest while reloading, too.  ;)

:D

Never thought of the trunk - and I have 2 of those! You can cut back the noise a bunch by putting a sheet of rubber [3/16" I think] between the tumbler's lid & the bowl, with a small hole cut out for the center screw.

Also a sheet of 1/2" foam rubber on the floor beneath the tumbler is good - I used that before I was also banished to the garage. A scrap of carpet cuts noise too.

Even in the garage I still separate the tumbled brass & media over a giant-size beach towel. When I'm done and the media is back in the tumber, I pick up the towel by the corners, take it outside, and shake out the corn cob stuff that was caught by the towel. Less mess.

Last thing - beware of vacuuming up spent primers & especially live primers. Very loud!!

Another option you might want to consider is using a rock polisher setup instead of a tumbler. See http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/images/rotary_b.jpg for a picture.

I really like it as there's no dust which means no lead contanimation or other nasty stuff in the air I breathe! You can put just about any brass cleaner in the water to clean the brass but I ususally just use plain old dishwashing liquid. Works better than vibratory tumbling with no noise or air pollution. Only negative is that you have to dry (air or oven) the brass afterwords.

DVD,

Sam

Yo Rik! Nice set up. I grew up in Tiburon (where land is expensive) but now I live just outside of Georgetown inside the D.C. beltway (where land is just as expensive); 1/4 million once bought 875 sq. feet of condo though the price is now 75% higher for the same space. My concessions to condo living are:

-tubler MUST have a solid lid or tape it over with duct tape to cover the holes

-must add a damp dryer sheet to walnut media to trap dust.

-before adding brass, add the media and 2 cap fulls of liquid car polish like NuFinish plus about 1 or 2 Oz. of Water to keep dust down & shorten tumbling to 1 hr.

-use an electric holiday timer so you can leave while its on & you don't have to listen to the tumbler. "Moving to another part of the house" ain't an option when you live in 875 sq feet.

-get the RCBS brand media seperator with its integral cover. I put it in the bathtub, hold my breath, dump in the contents of the tumbler, & walk away. Wait 1/2 hr. Then, seperate & leave for another 1/2 hr. Then I rinse down the tub & shower.

When you reload in a condo, tumbling outside is NOT an option or your neighbors will think you are a nut (or at least think you are enviro-unfriendly) & DHS might want to ask you some questions.

At least you do not have to endure as many "in the closet/out of the closet" jokes as your male counter parts who have no place else to set up a reloader. Regards, C

BTW - my closet reloading setup looks a bit like yours - just not as well organized (I am a single guy after all) & not helped at all by recently spilling 1/2 lb of 320 all over the place (expensive woops!). The spilled powder I can live with; its the lead I am afraind of & very careful with.

Looks good, Rikarin. You made good use of the space. I think most of us can learn something from your "vertical set up" on the lights. You used vertical poles, with clamp on lights, instead of horizontal tracks up high or "stringing" lights. I just looked at my main work bench which is adjoins my reloading bench in a new light.

Thanks, you charged a creative spark. I appreciate your work.

Regards,

:D:D:D