Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Free float handguard for bolt chassis: AR-10 threads or proprietary so

2Xalpha

I'm designing a chassis system for a bolt rifle, and want to be able to use free float AR-15 handguards. The first problem is that the barrel diameter of the bolt rifle is larger than the AR-15 upper receiver threads, so I will either have to come up with a proprietary solution where the handguard mount is integrated in the chassis, or use Armalite AR-10 or DPMS .308 threads.

If I were to choose some AR 308 threads, I would have to choose between Armalite 1-7/16" x 18 tpi (1.420 x 18) or DPMS 1-7/16" x 16 (1.420 x 16). Anybody know what threads are used on the HK MR762 by the way? However, I fear AR 308 threads would limit the selection of handguards anyway. Therefore I'm leaning towards a proprietary solution where the handguard mount is integrated in the chassis.

The best thing would be if everyone used the same standard type of barrel nut for free float handguards, but sadly thats not the case. Does anybody know what would be "the most universal" AR-15 free float barrel nut? I'm considering designing the chassis with an attachment base that is externally equal as the ALG Defense AR-15 Barrel nut, so that I can use ALG handguards. I have an ALG handguard, and it's affordable, comfortable and modular. It would be the easy solution.

ALG-Defense-EMR-barrel-nut.jpg

ALG Defense barrel nut, photo by jerkingthetrigger.com

Edited by 2Xalpha