Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got a Safariland discount card. What to buy from scratch?

Hello everyone!

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while but I've taken the competition safety course a few months ago and I'm finally going to gear up for my first competition!

I've received a 40% off Safariland discount card (up to $400 off if I spend a maximum of $1000) and I'd like to get the most out of it - a USPSA production class rig, MAYBE a 3-gun rig too.

If you would kindly look over my shopping list mentioned below that'd be highly appreciated!

Being in CA the chance of me participating in 3-gun in the next year is highly unlikely - but maybe it's not a bad idea to maximize the discount? Of course if I don't max it out then I can always use the money on something else (or save up, etc.).

I plan to gear up for the following guns: Glock 19 Gen 4 and/or Glock 34 Gen 4

The following is a shopping list I've compiled so far (before the 40% discount):

Model 032 ELS Competition Belt 1.75" (45 mm): $56

Model 030 Competition Underbelt, Loop Liner: $19

Model 771 Open Front Single Magazine Pouch (with ELS 34 and ELS 35 Fork and Receiver): $34x5 = $170

Model 5198 Open Top Concealment Paddle/Belt Loop Holster with Detent for Glock 19: $39

Model 5198 Open Top Concealment Paddle/Belt Loop Holster with Detent for Glock 34: $39 <-- maybe it'll fit the G19 too?

USPSA Kit $96x2 = 192 <-- maybe I'll be frugal and buy just one and take the whole thing apart when I change guns?

014 ELS Kit $55x2 = $110 <-- same as above

Extra (for 3-gun?):

Model 774 Rifle Magazine Pouch: $35.5

Model 085 Shotgun Shell Carrier: $30

Model 086 - 8 Shotgun Shell Holder: $113x2 = $226

Would there be things (non-belt related gear) that I should get instead of spending the money on the extra stuff above?

I apologize if the whole thread was a bit long to read. Thank you for your time!

Edited by bluebird

I would consider buying the holster with the USPSA kit pre-installed. The 5197 and the 5198 are the same holster if I remember correctly. Safariland offers the 5197 with the kit. The part number for your Glock 34 is 5197-683-411-USPSA for right hand and 5197-683-412-USPSA for left hand. The price according to Safariland's website is $120. I would just get one and swap the holsters back and forth when I wanted to change.

if you do not already have a shooting bag, I would look at getting one of those instead of the extra 3 gun gear at this time.

I wouldn't buy their shotgun shell holders. There are quite a few places that offer similar products at a much more competitive price. TacCom is who I used but there's also CarbonArms and Invictus as well. Otherwise it's an exceedingly similar list to mine.

I would consider buying the holster with the USPSA kit pre-installed. The 5197 and the 5198 are the same holster if I remember correctly. Safariland offers the 5197 with the kit. The part number for your Glock 34 is 5197-683-411-USPSA for right hand and 5197-683-412-USPSA for left hand. The price according to Safariland's website is $120. I would just get one and swap the holsters back and forth when I wanted to change.

if you do not already have a shooting bag, I would look at getting one of those instead of the extra 3 gun gear at this time.

Thanks for the 5197 Tip! I did not know they existed (It's a bit challenging to scroll through so many products on their website).

I've had the following bag for years. Would that work fine?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/eagle-industries-police-officer-equipment-bag-le.html

Is there anything else I should get from them? Or am I probably G2G at this point?

Thanks for answering all my newbie questions :D

I wouldn't buy their shotgun shell holders. There are quite a few places that offer similar products at a much more competitive price. TacCom is who I used but there's also CarbonArms and Invictus as well. Otherwise it's an exceedingly similar list to mine.

I looked at the websites and it seems that after the Safariland discount they are all priced similarly. The prices I'm showing is before discount.

Just wondering, are the quad-load shotshell holders like the Safariland 086 limited to open only or is it also allowed in the tactical division?

Any bag will work. Just remember the bigger the bag, the more stuff you end up putting in it!

The 086 loaders are legal in any of the division's I am familiar with. They are not restricted to open class.