Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

input on my technique

johnbu

Regarding the use of glasses, another option is the "double D" or "occupational" lens. In this lens the reading correction is a conventional D shape near the bottom of the lens. About 12 or 13 mm above that is an inverted D shape with the exact correction needed to make your front sight sharp. The rest of the lens carries your distance correction. Not only do these lenses eliminate the problem us old guys have seeing the front sight clearly, they are useful when using the computer, reading labels in the grocery store, working under the hood of the car, running a lathe or milling machine or doing anything that requires seeing at arms length. I'm told that airline pilots use them to see overhead instruments and I know that some painters and appliance repair men use them. I've worn these lenses daily since the early 1980's and wouldn't want to be without them.

While these lenses eliminate vision problems in my pistol shooting, they are awkward when shooting a rifle and they get in the way if you are a skeet or trap shooter. I use conventional shooting glasses for these purposes.

Are you pulling the trigger on that first "shot"? Getting an honest hit on something? Looks like you are just throwing the gun out there then immediately reloading. I'd guess your technique in live fire is a lot more deliberate. Also there's a lot of head and shoulder movement going on that I would try to avoid. Personally I'd also drop the holster more but that's not really necessary.

Actually, on that one I just wanted to see the mechanics of the draw and the reload. I remember coming up on the target, seeing the dot centered, dumping the mag, reloading and firing twice after the reload. So, no... I don't believe there was a first shot attempted, just a sight picture. And yes, live fire is slower by a couple tenths after warming up. Live fire 1.3 - 1.5 s first shots today were pretty regular in the 2nd half of the shooting. Splits were .2-.3 slower live fire than dry too, but I'm actually happy about that as I was watching the sights come up and was waiting for them to settle back down. A milestone of sorts registering that happening. Oddly, the fact I felt a "waiting" sensation was a positive too (in my warped noob view anyway) as the brain is now sort of feebly figuring out what to look at, but doesn't yet know how to get 'er done quicker. Probably a combination of grip, stance and a few more things.

Oh, I also am hampered by bad ammo with "they're a great deal" wolf primers. (They aren't). I had to increase hammer spring from 13# all the way up to a whopping 22# to get reliable ignition. DA trigger went from 6#12oz up to 14.5# and SA went from just under 3# to over 4. Yeah sux. But on the bright side, it is FORCING a more deliberate trigger motion to keep centered. But I doubt I can get much if any quicker on the dA with this spring set. When I tried, shots were hitting mostly c's and about equal a's and d's yet the time only dropped to 1.23-1.28.

Also agree about holster height, it's as low as it gets there, but was told Stoeger sells mount that will drop it some. Maybe will upgrade at some point.