Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feed ramp angle

Nickb45

I'm building my first limited gun (not my first 1911 style pistol). I'm wondering if anyone has the correct angle for a feed ramp (W/N ramp, 40 S&W).

I have a Kart barrel, the ramp angle is at 24 degrees. I know that's way too steep for a regular non ramped barrel for .45 but this ramped barrel and 40 game is new to me.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't find any info on ramp angles for calibers other than .45. I have a 9mm and had to change the barrel ramp angle (un-ramped, but the barrel ramp/throat was still too steep). I found that the .45 frame ramp should be 30.5 degrees and the barrel ramp about 35 degrees, both measured from vertical. However, I decided to just make small changes from where I was to avoid removing too much (or unnecessary) material. I think I ended up pretty close to 30 degrees and it feeds smoother than I could have imagined for such a small change.

I laid into it the other night until it fed, ended up at about 27.5 degrees.

So far has bench tested on flat points loaded from 1.2-1.06 (a few got short slamming into the feed ramp testing it). Also running on stock STI tubes (not tuned).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Nickb45