Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mental Focus Issues Today

LadyBlue

This was one of those days when my mind was not totally on the game. My club shot the IDPA classifier and all was going well until I had to do my first reload. For the life of me I could not figure out how to release a magazine. I literally had to look at the thing to get my brain to tell my fingers what to do.

One mental miscue I can deal with, but I was not done for the day. Twice I engaged the thumb safety while I was shooting. I can tell you from experience that the thumb safety on my STI Trojan works as advertised. Again there was that little delay for the brain to kick in; more time lost. Two issues that I have not experienced in 25 years of running the 1911 platform came back to bite me on the same afternoon. The lost time turned out to be the difference between sharpshooter and expert.

I've definitely had something similar happen. First time I recall it happening was messing around with firing pin springs in my G17. Running a stage and all of a sudden *click*. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what had happened. After my brain finally came back to help me out I got it racked and kept going. At that point, my whole stage was messed up. I'm still trying to work on recovering mid-stage when something like that happens. When you never have to think about a malfunction it definitely comes back to bite.

The thumb safety issue happened again in practice. I actually saw myself bumping the thing up under recoil this time, and immediately realized that somewhere along the way I had fallen out of the habit of riding the thumb safety while shooting. It is going to be an easy fix, but it will take time to get back into the habit.