Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lower/Raise Point of Impact?

Barney R

I've heard that heavier bullets can give a higher point of impact (bullet takes longer to get out of the barrel ... and barrel rises).

Does the amount of powder have any similar, predictable effect (of course within safe limits)?  I don't know if type of powder is a factor -- so far I'm only using 231.

Thanks.

Generally, yes. You have noted what is likely the most common cause of bullet holes in chronos (they don't work as well when you shoot holes in them).  

To start out, you have selected a good powder: Win 231. It is very predictable - especially in .45 - it meters well, and its cheap, available most places and its fast burning (so it shoots soft). However, its unecesarily dirty.  

Once you have your bearings in the reloading game, you might try some powders that I find better than 231: a cleaner powder that is just as fast if not faster and also very safe is VV N320. Its more expensive, but worth it.

To save money (or if you can't get 320) try either Hodgdon Tightgroup or straight Clays. Either is quite clean and afordable. To boot, Titegroup meters well, goes a long way, and has none of the pressure problems associated with it as Clays sometimes does. Let us know what works for you.

(Edited by Carlos at 3:27 pm on Mar. 26, 2002)

Thanks for the info -- but to clarify, is the answer to my question as simple as "when you put more powder in, bullets go higher"?  When you say chronos can fall victim, that's the first thing I think of (bullets hitting the "cloud screens" or whatever they call them).

Adding a little powder could endanger chronos that much?... :o

I mean, I'd be happy raising point of impact an inch or two at 25 yds, but chronos I thought were used at a distance of maybe 5-10 yds.

When you say the alternatives to 231 are cleaner, does that mean less build-up inside the gun, or less smoke, or both?