Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 and Lead Bullets

Ape

After lurking for several weeks, I have noticed the preference for N320 with a .40 and 180 gr jacketed bullets.

I've been using N340 with 180 jacketed bullets in my .40 and am thinking of trying the N320 with 180 gr lead bullets.  Is this going to be a problem due to the faster powder and .401 dia bullets.  High intial chamber pressures?  I will be shooting them thru a P-16.  Any input would be appreciated.

Ape out

Ape

I have a very good friend that uses N320 with 220grn. .40 cal lead. YES this is correct, I stated 220grn. he only has to use around 3.6grns. of powder to make major wich is a good thing because of room for pressure and he has to seat them to at least 1.2 but he doesn't get "Flat primers" or bulging or any other signs of high pressure. He's shooting a STI with a Schuemann AET 5 inch barrel. With that said, I doen't think it will hurt to run N320 with 180 lead.

Hope this helps!!

A lot of shooters here run N320 with the 185 and 200 grain Precision "Black" bullets in STI's and Para's with no problems whatsoever.  

http://www.precisionbullets.com

I believe the load is about 4.4 grains of N320 behind the 185 loaded a little long.  This varies from shooter to shooter and gun to gun of course.    You shouldn't have any problems working up your own major loads with N320 and 180's.  

Sounds good.  For reference, the 4.4 grain load I mentioned was with a 185 grain at 1.157 OAL.  Another friend running the 185's loads to 1.175-1.180 and uses 4.5 grains of N320.  Neither have had any problems at all.  That should get you in the ballpark.  Good luck.