Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone offer an "Intro to Pistol Competition" class in NC?

Detritus

Ok, off the top this is basically a re-post of a thread from a year ago. But since that other post I've moved from TX back to central NC so all the suggestions I was given a year back are now almost 1,300 miles away. so I figured I ask again with regard to my current location :)

I am asking this question mainly for my wife's benefit. even after spectating at the matches I participated in in Texas, she would like to find a class or regular place to make a more gentle transition into the sport than jumping in with both feet. And I can understand why.

She's a rather good shot, but she's never practiced or delt with the rest of the match experience, multiple targets, movement from one position to the next, shooting on the clock, etc. though at least some of this is on the agenda for our personal range visits once she gets up here (she's overseeing the sale of the house) and we have a "local" range again.
What she's looking for is a class or other opportunity to be able to be exposed to and practice those aspects of a match that currently make her nervous in an environment without the pressure of a match. how'd she put it? " I don't want to go out there the first time, having never done this before, having never walked through a stage much less with someone explaining what's what, feeling like everyone's watching me, and guy with a timer, and a scorekeeper following me! I want the chance to practice this stuff a few times where I don't feel like folks might laugh at me". so basically she's looking for something where someone other than me can walk her through the basics of a USPSA type match and let her try it out in a fairly relaxed atmosphere.

As for me I feel I could use some advice and instruction too, I'm comfortable with the match environment and all but frankly I'm new enough to all this that I don't know where and what mistakes I'm making.

thank you for your time and any info or advice you choose to share.

Frontlinedefense runs an intro to competition class sometimes. It's not exactly like uspsa but it's close - definitely friendly for beginners. Also gabby Franco has had intro to competition classes there a couple years in a row.

At the wake county range they have a female group that shoots together and by contacting them she might find a time when they are doing intro. Wake county action pistol is also said to be very beginner friendly as well.

Chris Tilley teaches classes at pdhsc sometimes and he is just excellent.

I'm sure there are many other options but those are the ones I've run across.