Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun/Defense 2011 Build Question

hatenchaos

I'm getting ready to build a 2011 for 3gun competition and defense purposes, and I have a specific build that I would like to try but I'm not certain that it will work. Hoping some of the experts here can give me their opinion on whether this build is a good idea. Essentially, what I want is a .40 S&W with the full length Tactical frame (with the light rail) but with a 5.4" lightened slide (to get the benefit of the longer sight radius) mated to a 6" threaded bull barrel (need the threaded barrel for my suppressor). To top it all off, I would like the Butler cut/stirrup cut done on the end of the slide so that it matches up neatly with the end of the Tactical frame.

Has anybody ever run a 6" barrel in a 5.4" frame? Woudl this create cycling problems?Does an extended buill barrel stickign out of the slide like that cause problemns? What do you guys think of this configuration?

I have a 6" 2011 that was built from parts using a 2011 Tactical frame (back when they were 7/8 length), plus a 6" tri-topped slide and 6" bbl. Mine has butler cuts done of the slide to match the length of the frame's dust cover as well as some slide lightening.

I think my next build may be a 5.5", though not sure I would go to the added expense of the Tactical rail since its low probability I will ever attach a light.