Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Steyr pistol for production

miyamoto

Hey folks,

Question,

Just received my m-a1 2/23 and only ran several hundred rounds through it so far with no problems except for the brass being a little erratic on ejection. Was drilling my reloads and quickly noticed how much the steyr's back strap is open and mag well opening is a bit narrow than other brands. This is slowing down my reloads a bit. Losing around 2 tenths of a second per load.

Does anyone know of someone who makes a channel filler much like glock has for the back channel of the steyr?

Any machinist/steyr animals around here who would attempt?

A mag well looks possible with that pin hole too!

Thank you,

Will

if this is for uspsa production, that'd put you in open division as an external modification,

The trick is to see the magazine into the hole..

i can reload my glock production gun as fast as i can my magwell equipped limited gun.

its all what you see.

Yeah, if this steyr was anywhere near as large an opening as a glock, that would not be a prob.

Lot of little pointy angles down there on the new m-a1, so generic description loading technique does not apply here.

Thanks for the reply though...Now I know I can't use it in production if modified the way mark suggested.

Hey mark...thought about my old jb weld tricks(ha,ha)...impact area though...don't think it would hold up.

I am sure this has been answered a million times in frontsite & the glock forum but I thought some of the Glock backstrap fillers were approved for USPSA production while others bumped one to open?

If some fillers are Production approved, simply copy one of those & you are good to go. The Steyr is a fantastic pistol b/c: its an Austrian made, polymer framed, tennifer finished gun similar in size to a Glock 19 but with a much lower bore axis and better chamber support (plus it can shoot lead bullets); comes with standard profile sights IF you get the night sights. Tom Freeman of the United States Air Force shooting team used a Steyr M9 to make Production Master class. The gun is very capable. Regards,

D.C. Johnson