Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Initial Classification

Smitty79

I joined USPSA last fall and shot my fourth classifier last month. I needed a 37% to make C class, as an initial classification. The bobbled load from the table and shooting all the paper targets within and inch of the the A/C line but on the wrong side, left me with a 36%. Initial classification is 39.88%. Do I now have to wait for an average of 6 of the last 8 to get to C?

I had read this to mean that I needed to get an average of 40% in the best 4 of my first 6

To receive an initial classification, a member needs to have at least four unduplicated scores in the USPSA classification database prior to the monthly reclassification procedure. If there are more than four scores on file, the best four scores of the most recent six scores will be used. Scores are sorted according to the match date to determine which scores are the most recent.

I guess I'm wrong. On the plus side, I will go from usually coming in second or third, as Unclassified in local matches, to dominating D class for a while.

After a member has earned a classification, the classification system will look at the best six unduplicated scores of the most recent eight to evaluate the member’s current classification percentage.

So, yes, If your scores go into the system with no further scores being entered into the system before the next classification run, then you will get classified as D. If you manage to shoot more classifiers before the next classification window, (usually around the 15th of the month), then you can still get above 40% if you do well. It doesn't matter for your initial classification if you only shoot 4 classifiers or 40. They are only going to look at the best 4 of the most recent 6. After you are classified, they will use the best 6 of the last 8. After you are classified, if you don't have at least 8 scores yet, (6 of which are better than the 36% you flubbed up on), that means the 36% score is not going to drop out and will still be used to figure your average.

Edited by Parallax3D

Hey, don't feel bad. I until this weekend. I hadn't really shot Limited since I initially classified about about 4 years ago, and I still have 4 of those original classifiers that count toward my average, even though it's current;y a C and the two lowest scores that count are a 22% and a 34%. Since I am a C, the 39% that I shot last November, (yeah, it sucked), doesn't replace either the 22% or 34% from my inital classification, because it's below the 40% minimum for C class. Funny how that works, huh?

Meanwhile, I switched to Open, and I'm a high B, (72.61%), and close to getting my A card, so...

Just try to be consistent. Consistency really is the trick to moving up. In the meantime, beat up on the rest of the D class shooters. :devil:

Edited by Parallax3D