Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2

kschwan

I believe that the M1 Super 90 is the Benelli of choice for 3-gun matches. I have been looking for one everywhere and I only seem to find the M1 Field and M2. So my question is what is the difference between the M1 Super 90 and the M1 field, The M1 super 90 and the M2 , which appears to be with a new recoil "Comfort Tech" system.

Thanks

The M2 barrel with changeable chokes uses a longer choke called Crio Plus (same as for the SBE2). The longer parallel surface after the constriction cone is supposed to make the shot pattern more uniform. IMO this is a good feature for Trap, 5-stand, and hunting, but may only be slightly helpful for steel, perhaps only when using a tighter choke on a stage with far targets.

The factory choke tubes are almost as long as extended tubes for the M1, and Trulock makes extended and ported tubes that are longer than most extended tubes for the M1. One of the choices is Extra-Full in case your stage designer is a sadist!

After reviewing the shotgun rules, I am fairly certain that ported tubes are only legal for Open and Modified, and prohibited for Standard and Standard Manual. See item 13 in Shotgun Rules Appendices D1, D2, D3, and D4. Also, you would not want to use a ported choke tube if your magazine tube extends past the muzzle of your barrel, although you might get away with this if you have a heavy-duty heat shield.

Since both types of barrels come with 5 chokes (CL, IC, M, IM, F) the included factory chokes are all a 3-gunner would need.

Richard

Schennberg.com