Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home made choke changing tool

GaGunner

Made this tool for the times I need to change a choke. post-52759-0-61546800-1419696215_thumb.j Gun is a Benelli Super Nova with a +8 mag tube on it. Tool is made from aluminum flat stock 15 inch long 5/8 wide and 1/8 thick. The tool has an overall length of 13 1/2 inches. It makes changing a choke tube much easier. I took the original Benelli choke tool and cut it to fit in between the aluminum stock. Make sure it is square to the aluminum. Picture 2, post-52759-0-15096000-1419696244_thumb.j shows the two red head fasteners, they are approximately 4 inch apart, center to center. If you notice, just below the bottom red head fastener, you see the threads for the bottom black head fastener shown in Picture 3. post-52759-0-11210600-1419696297_thumb.j The red and black fasteners are approximately 3/4 inch apart. This was the maximum distance between the two fasteners I could go and still have good metal around the fasteners. The thickness of the original choke tool will cause a gap between the two pieces of the aluminum stock. The point where the gap can be closed is where the second red head fastener was placed.

The two black head fasteners shown in Picture 3 are 8 1/2 inches center to center. The second black fastener is just for looks. It does not hold the handle on. When I originally made this tool, I fitted the aluminum stock to the handle and drilled through the handle and the aluminum at the same time. This ensured the two holes lined up , but left a mess of cutting oil in the handle. Foolishly, I used acetone to remove the oil. It softened the plastic and the handle came apart. When I replaced the handle and drilled it this time, I missed my mark and the screw would not go into the aluminum stock. It is a no harm, no fowl, thing as the handle is a tight friction fit, but if I was to do it now, I would drill the handle on the aluminum stock, but stop when I just touched the aluminum, then remove the handle and drill the aluminum. Last Picture shows how I shaped the aluminum stock so it would go into the handle. post-52759-0-28596600-1419696335_thumb.j

The handle is a file handle and, in theory, you could shape the aluminum so it would fit into a handle inserts. I am not that patient. The handle is a Nicholson 21474 available from Homedepot. I have about 15 dollars into this and that is with me replacing the original handle and buying a second handle (just in case). Hope this helps someone.