Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Were there ever 170mm single stack 9mm/super mags?

RAZZ

Back in the pre-Tripp days, did anyone ever make 170mm 9mm/.38 super single stack mags? I have never heard of them, but it would seem if they made them in .45, perhaps they made them in super as well.

Thanks!

Yes, they existed both as production items and weld-ups. But the way the rules were written for open which allowed 171.25mm mags for double stack guns pretty much made them a bad second choice for open and they never caught on for the game.

It works better for the .45 single stack since you can run limited 10 in major with them, and several have done this with great results.

There were quite a few folks during that '93 (IIRC) time who were advocating and petitioning HQ to use the same mag rules for open that limited uses >> 5.561” (141.25mm) or 6.742” (171.25mm) in single stack guns

If that had traction then you would probably see more of the long 38 super single stack mags. But, there were other factors at work and 171.25mm max mag length became the rule for all open division guns, double or single stack.

At least this is my recollection.

My buddy got some years ago (shotgun news) that were 20 round supers. He shortened then to 170 and they held 15 rounds. Single Stack wasn't a "division " back then (90's) and they allowed you to use them in Limited and allowed 170 length.

Edited by ipscjoe

Interesting, thanks for the information.

My wife has gone through a number of different handguns looking for a 3-gun pistol, and despite the fact that she/we know its not ideal, she likes and shoots her 9mm Trojan best. I was thinking about a few longer single stack mags to help her be a little more competitive. I might try the highercapacity.us place and have a couple welded up for her.

Thanks!