Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry 9mm 147 RN Load Data

Airbob10

I am new to the site, so there are probably posts on this topic, so I appologize if I am re-asking for the same info. I am just getting into IPSC and I will need to reload a lot more than I have been up to date. I use a S&M M&P 9mm and will be shooiting Production / Minor. I bought a Springfield XMD 5.25 9mm, and will have to use that in Standard.

With powder being in short supply in Canada, I have had to change powder types. I currently have been reloading Berry 9MM 124 Rn with either CFE Pistol and Titegroup. Both have been good other than 1 squib the other day.

I have decided to try Berry 9MM 147 RN. I still have a pound of titegroup and will try betweem 3.1 to 3.6 gr. My question is has anybody used Longshot? I was able to 5 pounds of this powder. There is load data for the 124, but has anybody had success with Longshot on the Berry 9MM 147 Rn?

Thank you

Hodgdonreloading.com has 3.8 for Hornady, Berrys uses lead data, so I would drop the starting load down .3 grains and work up from there. But, you need to be very careful getting load data from sources you can't trust 100%. Maybe call Hodgdon and ask them.

I don't know your purpose, but to make minor power factor with 147g you need a minimum of 850 fps.

Edited by aceinyerface

Thanks for the info.

I always email and ask Hodgdon for data, but they always give me load data for Berry HBRN TP. The only load data is the Hornady 147 with 3.8 to 4.7 gr's of Longshot. I will be loading for minor and will need to make sure I am above minimum power. I will be taking my first qualifier this weekend where I will be using factory bullets.

My Black Badge instructor let me try his 147 gr a few weeks ago, and I really liked using them. I was wanting to try 147 with the Longshot powder for practice instead of using up the last pound of Titegroup.

I was going to start at 3.2 gr of Longshot and work my way up, but I wanted to see if anybody on this site has actually used the powder and what type of results they got. Rather start low and work my way up than risking injury and destroying my pistol.

Longshot is going to be loud and blasty compared to other powders in 9mm, it's a slow powder that's preferable for hot revolver rounds. I just got done shooting a USPSA match w/ minor loads running Power Pistol which is comparable, and people next to me were saying "Dude, are you running +P's in that? That sounded like a cannon!" More blast makes it harder to control shot to shot. Now maybe in smaller doses Longshot might not be as bad as it can be when pushing zippier loads, but that's totally up to you, of course.

I really don't know why Hodgdon doesn't list more 147 loads on their database when that's what guys loading lots and lots of rounds are going to want to know.

Edited by yellowfin