Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

feedback on dillon xl650 magnum caliber conversion

jaredr

i'm loading more and more 45-70 on my 650 and beginning to really miss the casefeeder. I currently just remove the casefeed body bushing and casefeed adapter and drop the cartridges through the hole in the casefeed body assembly into station 1 - gets tedious when you're spoiled with a casefeeder for every other caliber. I'm considering buying the XL650 magnum caliber conversion but couldn't find much info about it on the dillon site. had a few questions for Dillon and/or anyone who's got experience with it

1) looks like this is a more or less permanent conversion (or at least not a trivial install that I would want to swap back and forth). picture on dillon's site shows you have to replace the clear plastic case feed and microswitch assembly, and you have to use new cartridge tubes, any idea what the third item is in the middle? 650_Mag_Rifle_Kit.jpg

2) once you have this installed, can you still use it to feed non-magnum (i.e. 9mm, .40S&W, etc) cartridges or do you have to swap this whole conversion back and forth (or dedicate a casefeeder just to magnum cartridges?

3) If you can use the "magnum" conversion for smaller cartridges, how well does it work? Keen to see how a 9mm feeds reliably through something big enough to accept a 45-70.

4) in addition to the xl650 magnum caliber conversion, do i need anything else to feed .45-70 cartridges? I already have the .45-70 caliber conversion (shellplate, locator pins, station 1 locator, casefeed adaptor)

4) including obligatory pics of my cool suppressed cut down guide gun for no good reason.

20131012_123824_zps3b4cdbd4.jpg

20121114_163243_HDR.jpg

I assume your talking about the casefeed body assembly. This attaches to the side of the press. I do not do any 45-70 (must be a big case if it requires all of these changes to the case feed system) But I think you should post your question in the Dillon Equipment sub-forum. You may get better responses there.