Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning's EGW Prepped Trigger Kit Not IDPA Legal Whoopsies

Endyo

Realized during install of Henning's Ultimate EGW's Prepped Trigger Kit for an EAA Witness that the new sear does not have the "leg" that acts as a firing pin block. Ergo disabling a safety, big no-no in IDPA.

(http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112939)

Now I can't use it for my intended purpose - IDPA <---Insert a big Homer Simpson Doh! :goof:
I was reading around on the innernets that Henning's made a run of "flat bottom firing pin stops"
I'm not terribly familiar with how this would interact with the new sear, hammer, and firing pin.
So now I'm confused as to
1. Difference between a firing pin stop and firing pin block?
2. Am I correct in my understanding that the EGW sear, Hammer, and Firing Pin is non-IDPA compliant?
3. Is there any Trigger Pull weight reduction installing the flat trigger alone?
Edited by Endyo

the firing pin stop is the little plate at the back of the slide that retains the firing pin.

short story is it has no affect on the trigger

a flat bottom slide stop lowers the contact point with the face of the hammer as the slide begins to move back and cock the hammer so it slows the initial rearward movement of the slide thus changing the barrel unlock timing.

hope this helps

Yes! Thank you I had so many google tabs open my head was about to blow up.

I'm still learning nomenclature. I've actually polished my firing pin stop to help with hammer contact. Didn't know that was it's name.

Considering keeping this project for a USPSA gun.

There's the issue of fitting the sear.

It seems the Sear is hardened throughout and ok to start filing on...Henning's has most of the prep work done, but still needs some work. I'm leary of doing a modification without much knowledge on sears.

Looking at the sear I initially believed I just needed to remove a little material so the retaining pin would line up with the frame, I thought this was what Hennings website meant by "fitting to the safety", but reading what a few others here have talked about I believe there is another part of the sear that will have to be worked on.

I talked to one of my local gunsmiths today...on of the more talented ones, and he said he hasn't worked on a Witness in years and is backed up from 3 weeks to 6 months depending on the project size.

I will try to do some more learning on this subject matter and post some pictures.