Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone use Accurate No. 9 powder?

msg73

Should be ok for 38 Major but not 9mm Major or Minor.

I would start with 7gr for 38 super comp check FPS and brass. Then workup a load.

The powder shortage suck for everyone. Our local club went from 200 shooters to 75 because of ammo and reloading.

AA-9 might work in 38 super or supercomp. I have used it in 357 Sig and it took 13.3 gr to make ~170 PF with a 124 grain bullet. The 38 super case holds about 16 grains when full, so you might be able to get enough in for it to work. Of course, start low and work up with a chrono.

In Jeff Maass' compilation of 38 super load data, he shows 147 gr Hornady FMJBT with 10.3 gr AA-9 making a PF of 178.2. And he has a few other AA-9 entries (all with heavier bullets) that also make major in 38 super. You can probably do a search and find that data.

The powder shortage is a real pain.

• 2 months later...

I use it in my open 9mm gun with 115's. Barrel length is 5.5" with a single hole at the end of the barrel through the compensator threads. Load is 11.2, and it is a compressed load. PF is about 168. The pistol dives a bit, and the dot makes a small circle. Very nice load and very flat.