Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Tactical trigger group install problems

I just got a Versa Tact and the trigger assembly is extremely tight. I have a versa max sportsman and have no problem with assembly so I know I'm doing it right. It was hard to get out and is now almost impossible to get back in. I had to work it in and out for a while which was shaving off aluminum until I could see a small portion of the holes lining up. I then started working larger and larger punches through until I could get the factory pin in. I wasn't hammering the small punches through in case somebody was worrying. Has anyone else had this problem? Also the pin easily seen on the bolt while in the gun seems to work outwards a little after 10 rounds. Is there a better aftermarket pin available? One other problem I am having is that when loaded 8+1 the it doesn't want to release the first shell in the tube. Needless to say I'm kind of let down considering the $1050 price. I did score a 22 on my first game of skeet with it which was worth a laugh a the club today. I'm a new member that's wanting to get into some 3gun so any advise is welcome.

The firing pin retainer in the bolt carrier is held in place with a rubber O-ring, which sits in a groove in the carrier.

Your o-ring may be missing, or broken. Strip the gun, pull the retaining pin and verify.

Remington will send you a new one if it is missing or broken.

Try swapping trigger groups with the Sportsman and see if the trigger group is out of spec, or the receiver.

Mick

Thanks for reply MickB. I put 150 shells through it and when I went to break it down the trigger assembly wasn't tight anymore and after cleaning again it went back together without a hitch. The extended tube still hangs up when dropping a shell if there are 7 or 8 in the tube. I measured the tube spring and it only sticks out 14 or 15 inches which makes me wounder if I should trim it any. I checked the firing pin retainer throughout the 150 shells fired but never had to push it back in. Once it works away from the bolt 1/16 of an inch it seems to stay put so I'll just keep a eye on it. I tried to find a good slug to shoot through it but had no luck with Remington, Federal or Winchester. They were all basic rifled slugs shot at 40 yards. They all hit between 8 & 12 inches high and between 8 inches left and 4 inches right. All brands were all over the place. I'm hoping the barrel clamp is the problem. I was using the Tactical breeching choke.