Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interruptions during training

PiratePast40

Wondering what others do about the distractions and interruptions during your training sessions. I'd really like to run a strung and then run it again to try to improve on time and accuracy, but stopping in between to tape targets and find brass seems counter intuitive. I try to set up enough targets (6-8 for most drills) so that I can run repetitions, and that helps since I can now run several strings without stopping to tape. I always check my time and think about how my sight picture looked, if I was concentrating on the front sight, and if my grip was sufficient. Just seems that I could actually get more chances to repeat and concentrate on actually shooting if I didn't have to mess with the targets themselves so often.

Do most of you also stop and tape after every string?

I guess I could stop being so stingy with the brass and not worry about losing so much in the gravel. That would speed things up some.

There is nothing wrong with scoring aggregates, but there is a time and a place for it.

If I run one of the drills in skills and drills (Ben's books) I might run the drill about 3 times before I score it once I have a few reps in.

There are other times where the nature of a drill requires me to look at every single string, such as if I keep making the some mistake on a specific hard cover or no shoot target. I might wanna see what is going on every rep.

I know it might not be what you wanna hear, but, "It depends."

Edited by JaeOne3345

If you are working on a stand and shoot type drill without a lot of movement, why don't you just put a tarp down in the direction of the brass ejection pattern?

Painter's drop cloth or old canvas. I can use it for prone shooting as well.

Thanks for the great idea.

edit: To OP: I do not tape between strings.

Edited by okiestovepipe

Thanks for the suggestion. I also try to do movement drills as well and end up marking the areas with sticks to help find the vicinity of brass.

As far as taping, you were right, the "it depends" answer wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear but it does make sense.

Edited by PiratePast40

I hate to hear that sometimes, too, but there are certain things I am working on that do warrant checking the target every string, and other things that don't.

I can tell you for sure that when I work on groups I check the target after every 5-6 shots.