Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E2 grips, struts, and seats

66L

My 226 came with E2 grips, the long mainspring strut, and short mainspring seat. Being my first Sig I bought the traditional 2 piece grips, short strut, and long seat just to try it...and I actually think the trigger pull is better like this. Wanting the best of both worlds I put the non-E2 parts combined with the E2 grips.

After reading a bit online, it appears this combination should not work, saying there isn't enough room under the E2 grips which prompted the change in parts. But despite what I'm reading, it seems to work fine. Am I missing something here or running the risk of breaking something?

This is a new production gun, bought about six months ago. Standard P226R, if that makes any difference.

The mainspring will rub on the inside of the grip. Or at least it did on the only gun I did that experiment with.

and I actually think the trigger pull is better like this.

Yes it will be. The angle of the strut is better and this allows for a more even trigger pull.

Wanting the best of both worlds I put the non-E2 parts combined with the E2 grips

Curious as to what makes you think the E2 grips are of any advantage? The grips are an advantage only if you can't reach the standard or short P226 trigger when the gun is equiped with the "normal" grips.

If you can reach the trigger properly with the normal grips you are much better off. The E2 grips do allow your hand to be more forward on the gun however this also forces your grip to be farther down the gun. This means you now have an even higher bore axis.

I have pulled the E2 grip off several times and I can't see where anything is rubbing, which I expected and was surprised not to find.

As far as why I like the E2 grips a little better, it's a close call, but the more aggressive texture does better in my hands. I also like the lack of screws to come loose, which I experienced first hand. In all honesty I wasn't sold on the E2 grips at first due to riding the slide catch. I recently got a 226 single action slide catch that faces it forward and there is no chance of riding it now, it should be standard on E2 gripped guns. The downside to that slide catch is it precludes using other grips with a specific slide catch cut-out like the originals.

I also don't notice my hand being any further down the frame or away from the slide. The 226 has a "higher" bore axis to begin with and if the E2 grip increases it, it's negligible.

This is the only Sig I own, or have owned, but I make a point to dry-fire any I come across, and this combo of E2 grip, short strut, and long seat is the best I've found by far....with seemingly no consequences from the mixed parts.