Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finding My "GRIP" !

Bigbadaboom

I just finished some chamber polishing and extractor adjustments after having some "sticky feeds" in my newly built STI Lim. gun so I spent my lunch hour at the local indoor puting a couple hundred rounds through it for break-in and function check. While there an amazing thing happened. "I FOUND MY GRIP"!!!. I've been shooting IPSC for about 3 years now and I have narrowed my misses down to maby 1 every 3rd match but I doen't have good grouping while shooting fast, always an alpha/ charlie or a alpha/ delta or such. when standing and shooting "sight on-pull , sight on-pull" they stay on the target but are always spread all over the place. I started out with my strong thumb on top of the safety and my off thumb against the frame just in front of the slide-stop. This caused me to pull right and miss long shots so I took my thumbs compleatly away from the gun causing the above mentioned spread out effect. I figured that this was better than misses and have shot this way for about 2 and a half years all the while having people tell me that I need to pull my thumbs in to get more accurate. Well today, while shooting, I figured that I would try some different things with my grip so I took PaulW's addvice and sent my target all the way out to 50' to practice long range grouping. After trying this and that I placed my off thumb against the frame and left my strong thumb splaid out away from the gun over the knuckle of my off thumb instead of on top of the saftey. After emptying a 20 round mag I brought the target in. There was an approx. 3" ragged hole in the center of the A-zone with a few orbiting holes around its perimeter. Figuring that it was a shot up target and I had probably blown a bunch of pasters off with my first shot and missed a lot I sent a new one down range to try again. It happened again, 3" hole with 3 or 4 orbiters. After 3 more mags it hit me and I jumped and yelled so loud that the guy running the range came in to see if I was OK. I said  " Yes, I just found my grip". He replied "It's a beautiful thing isn't it". I fired the rest of my ammo and found, while doing so, that my splits were a LOT faster and very accurate. I never thought I could get here with a handgun and for it to hit me all at once is euphoric.

Sorry to be so long with this but I just had to share this lip tingling expieriance with some fellow shooters.

Cool.

In the spirt of the Ghost Dog, on his birthday, I'll throw this comment at you.

Now that you have found it...don't stop looking.

(that may mean nothing, or it may be deeply profound...I don't know which)