Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single action Beretta 92 modification

mikebravo

Hey all, new to this forum. I had a quick question...

So I was out doing some USPSA training today with my Beretta 92a1. I went to decock my pistol as normal, and although the lever moved, the hammer didn't fall. After dissasembly, I saw that the hammer release lever had snapped in half. Bummer. But what I noticed as well is that this now makes my 92a1 capable of something like "cocked and blocked", because when the hammer is cocked, you can put the safety "on", which rotates the firing pin transfer piece out of the way. Now, although the safety doesn't lock the trigger, it does block the hammer from making the gun fire, rendering the gun mechanically safe. My question is would it be legal for me to use my gun as is in USPSA, and start with the pistol in the afformentioned "cocked and blocked" condition, or would this be considered dissabling a safety feature? Thanks for the help!

Hey all, new to this forum. I had a quick question...

So I was out doing some USPSA training today with my Beretta 92a1. I went to decock my pistol as normal, and although the lever moved, the hammer didn't fall. After dissasembly, I saw that the hammer release lever had snapped in half. Bummer. But what I noticed as well is that this now makes my 92a1 capable of something like "cocked and blocked", because when the hammer is cocked, you can put the safety "on", which rotates the firing pin transfer piece out of the way. Now, although the safety doesn't lock the trigger, it does block the hammer from making the gun fire, rendering the gun mechanically safe. My question is would it be legal for me to use my gun as is in USPSA, and start with the pistol in the afformentioned "cocked and blocked" condition, or would this be considered dissabling a safety feature? Thanks for the help!

Welcome!

I also run a 92FS in Production division.

Quick answer if using your pistol in Production division.

No,

Per the current rules, please see Appendix D4 for Production division

http://www.uspsa.com/rules/2008HandgunRulesindexed.pdf

(Special conditions:

— Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal.
— Unless specifically authorized above, modifications are prohibited. Except
for Item 7, revolvers are subject to all restrictions above.
— A handgun may be approved and added to the USPSAApproved Production
Handgun List after the NROI Manufacturer’s Declaration form stating that
a minimum of 2000 complete handguns have been manufactured and available to the general public has been submitted and NROI has inspected the
handgun for compliance)

Sounds like the pistol is broke, I would repair it back to original condition.

Good luck!