Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver training tips

A few tips that I've picked up over the years work particularily well for revolver. I have a set of one third scale steel challenge targets that I set up in my basement. I can set up Smoke N' Hope, Accelerator, etc. I have a CED airsoft timer and the wrist attachment so that you can wear the timer. I position the timer's mic so that it is about 3 inches from the revolver's hammer. At the sound of the buzzer I can draw and dry fire. The timer records everything-- time to first shot, splits, etc.

I use a 627 S&W revolver for the drill with a C-More red dot sight. When using the red dot sight it is easier to see the quality of your trigger pull and get a good visual as to shot placement. Iron sights can work too you just don't get such clear visual feed back. You can also practice reload drills as the timer will record the last shot, reload and then record the next shot. It gives you your reload split.

I used to cross train a lot with .22 revolvers. But with the shortage of .22s I don't use this training technique nearly as much. The dry fire / CED airsoft practice has allowed me to keep my skills at a high level and the only cost is a little time.