Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag pouches

Akacala

I'm using the DAA Race Masters. The magazines release smoothly when you grab them yet are held tightly enough for handstands. No worries about leaving a trail of magazines. Tension is fully adjustable. They're definitely a buy-it-for-life item. I haven't tried the Racer, but it appears to offer 80% of the goodness for 50% of the cost. They appear to loose some mounting flexibility, but that's probably not an issue for shooting Production.

Both can be mounted at 90 degrees from the body if that's how you roll.

Be careful with mounting the Racers at 90*. The don't have the same attachment for 90* that they do for bullets forward. The belt attachment has a cog like attach point. The mag pouch has a cog like attach point on the side for bullets pointing forward method. The pouch is very secure with the cogs lining up. When you switch to 90*, the mag pouch is a smooth flat surface. You can still mount it, but there is no matching cog like surface so they have the tendency to rotate. I wanted to mount mine 90*, but because of this, I had to go back to bullets forward.

I'm looking to move over to the Ghost 360's because I've been told they are very solid and mount 90* with no issues.

that's not right. with the Racer pouches you just pop out that little cog. it sits in a little hole in the pouch. there is the same hole on the side (what becomes the back when you go 90 degrees). you pop it back in that slot and bingo you have exactly the same mounting.

I actually prefer the racers over the race masters:

racers:

lighter

slightly slicker draw being plastic

in black they are hard wearing (don't show scratches or damage)

can easily get the rotation you want with the cog system (both regular mount and bullets out/90 mount)

cheaper

Racer masters:

stronger I guess

look nice in alloy with the cuts in them

don't draw quite as smoothly (especially if you catch an edge like alma)

the ball mount is a cool idea but kind of overkill for a mag pouch. I really don't need them angled out or in from the body nor do most rules allow that anyway.

the ball mount makes it hard to get them all lined up exactly the same

they are heavier than the Racers, noticeable when you have 5 of them on a belt

the alloy can and does get scratched. Mine were brand new and I dropped the rig on my garage floor (d'oh!) a couple of pouches got marked up straight away.

cost more money than racers for no real advantage (difference is alloy shell instead of plastic and ball joint mount instead of cog type thing).

Both racer and race master share the main benefits though:

pressure is put on mag back to front instead of squeezing the sides

pressure is even along the whole pouch (instead of just squeezing one point)

mount system takes up the tiniest amount of room on the belt

very easy to change to different mags (takes a few seconds for each pouch and it's easy to customise the fit if you like)

tension adjustment super easy

can mount regular or bullets out

look really nice (the race masters look awesome in all colours, the racers look best in black)

easy to mount a magnet on the front pouch

very strong, hardy product