Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casings hitting my Brazos scope mount....

Rush

Hi all...

very frustrated.. read Bob's article on how to tune a ejector... still frustrated...

my foo-foo blaster is really buggin me... and I hate the gunsmith! (no one from this site/forum :D ) venting here... apologies....

so in the attempt to not see my smith... toolbox, file kit and 400 rds of ammo and off to the range, 340 rds later and a seriously filed and much shorter ejector :angry: ... I can still get shells to hit the scope mount... :wacko: ... but only during very fast splits. in slow fire, it doesn't hit the mount.

... shells will eject over my right shoulder in something like a 30 degree arc and land about 4-5 meters away, off my right sholder...

Just hoping for some tips... and hopefully some pics of ejectors for 38s in race guns with scope mounts(Top, left side and right side profiles) would be great :D so i don't keep bashing Bob's scope mount and not loose to many match points when the casing gets jammed in the ejection port after bouncing off a scope mount :blink:

Thanks in advance and Regards to all

wide45,

i never tested it w/o the mag.. it was either slow fire or a full mag.... you learn something new everytday i guess... thanks for this...

let em test it out.. I should be able to see if its the next rd that's knocking the ejecting case into the scope mount? right? let me know if i'm wrong...

Regards & thanks.

Rob

It is an easy test that may or may not tell you anything.

My thinking was that your gun is ejecting off of the next round. When you are shooting fast, the next round is not fully there to kick the empty out.

On the other hand, ejecting 4-5 meters sounds like it is not just the next round popping them out, and you may be right about the cases being knocked off the extractor.

It could be an extractor problem.

I could be wrong. ;)

4-5 meters sounds a little far. What lb. recoil spring are you using? Are you running shok-buffs or a recoilmaster? If you're using either one, try the gun with only a steel guide rod and recoil spring. (I had a similar problem with a shok-buff that wasn't trimmed enough.) If the problem continues, try a heavier recoil spring. Also, on a scoped gun you should be ejecting a little low rather than over the shoulder. If the above doesn't work you might want to try adjusting the contact point on the ejector.

Thanks... I'm using a light recoil master. I'll try looking at shots w/o the mag, and then seeing how it behaves without the RM installed.... :D

E-mailed Bob.. but couldn't wait for his reply on what to do.. so just ordered one of his tuned ejectors. the only thing is, his tuned ejectors are for in 45acp or 9mm/40cal. I assume that the 9mm/40 is also used for 38s race guns and that's what i ordered... exasperated and desparate... I've got a level 3 coming up and this guns gotta work by Thursday at the latest :angry: otherwise, i ain't going :(

I checked the aftec, and it holds the shells snugly... feeding is ok so i'm ruling out the extractor and concentrating on the ejector for the meantime..

Again, thanks for the advice. Finished all my ammo yesterday.. so gotta load some and then head back out to finish testing and tuning......

Much thanks and Regards,

finally got it solved... thanks to everyone around for the good advice and support... 80rds of rapid fire and the shells were landing in there abouts the same place (2-3 meters) away, just to my right... and there were no marks on my scope mount :D

so what i did, in the hopes that this may be of some use to others... is...

a. replaced the aftec springs...

b. filed and angled the ejector similar to what Bob has got on his web page on tuning ejectors, but it was easier now as he'd told me what i needed to look for in order to shape the ejector... by observing the scope mount and ejector port...

Thanks lots to Bob as well... and to everyone... safe shooting..

Regards,.

Hi Newguy,

I had an extra two springs. When I bought the aftec, it came with 4 springs, 2 of which were spares... got to use those. As they were stiff initially, i just compressed the new springs with pliers for about 30 seconds each...

Regards,

Rob