Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The right spring combination for a CZ?

Vlad

Hi all,

Lately I have been getting a number of FTE's with my CZ75B 9mm and I think they are related to me adjusting my load down after I got a chrony. The failure I see is that the spent case is half way out of the chamber and the new round is fed under it locking up the whole mess. The extractor is new and looks good and I have a new Wolf extrator spring, the plus power kind which hold the case pretty well. What I think happens is that the slide does not fully cycle and doesnt hit the ejector fast enough. I'm going to try loading a bit hotter to verify that this is the problem.

Right now I am running a 12lb recoil (-2lb vs factory) and (I think) a 18lb hammer spring (also -2lb vs factory). My current load is 3.2TG under 147gr FMJ, which makes about 132PF according to my chrono.

So what do people run in their CZ's as spring weights? I can up my load, as the 3.4TG load I started with did not have this problem, but it also made 138PF and that is a bit much.

Vlad

I bought the hammer spring pack from Wolff and put in the lightest hammer spring in my CZ (16 #). So far it works 100%, and the trigger pull was substantially lightened. I think I have the stock 14# recoil spring in the gun, and shoot mostly S&B factory ammo.

132pf shouldn't be too low in 9mm, so you may want to drop your recoil and/or hammer spring weight down some more.

DogmaDog

Vlad,

I have the same problem in my CZ75. When you drop the mag, does the slide fall foward on the empty round? You can't put the mag in right away because the next round is partially pushed out, ready to chamber. It happens with every mag of Winchester White Box but seems to be Ok with the aluminum cased CCI Blazer. I have installed the Wolf extractor spring, used the Wolf 14# recoil spring, and replaced the extractor with no improvment.

I actually dropped it off at my gunsmith's shop on Saturday. I'll let you know how I make out.

Steve

Hmm, I just ordered a whole mess of springs from Wolff (recoil, hammer, mag) so I can experiment. I do however wonder about the brass. GTOShooter noticed the problem with Winchester white box and I know that some of my brass started its life that way so now I wonder if the brass is part of the problem too. Hmm.

Vlad

I was swapping mainsprings in and out of my CZ85B to lighten up the DA pull and test firing. I settled with a 17lb hammer spring and the DA pull was down to 5.5lbs.

I've been using the factory recoil spring and it has not caused any fte's. What I need to do now is to change to a reduced power the firing pin spring to prevent any duds with the softer mainspring.

My load data: 4.2gr N320; 124gr Sellier&Bellot FMJ heads; OAL=1.142in; PF=132

My gunsmith found a burr or something in my chamber. I guess when the brass cases expanded upon combustion it would cause the case to stick and not extract. It makes some that the aluminum CCI worked because the case was soft enough to be pulled passed the burr. He said he has had CZ 75s with the irregualrities in the chamber before. The chamber is going to be polished and I'll let you know how it works out at the range.

In the worst case, does anyone know where I could get a new CZ barrel at a good price, besides CZ USA?

Steve

I replaced my mag springs and pressed the mag lips in a bit as they seemed to have loosened up a bit and today I fired 300 rounds with only one failure with the first magazine I shot. I think the problem is cured unless it is heat dependent and it will crop back up every stage as I shoot with a cold gun, while today my gun got quite warm.

Vlad

I bought the hammer spring pack from Wolff and put in the lightest hammer spring in my CZ (16 #). So far it works 100%, and the trigger pull was substantially lightened. I think I have the stock 14# recoil spring in the gun, and shoot mostly S&B factory ammo.

132pf shouldn't be too low in 9mm, so you may want to drop your recoil and/or hammer spring weight down some more.

DogmaDog

DD: did you change to a reduced power firing pin spring?

I'm not the esteemed DD, but I also changed my hammer spring to a 16lb this week and I left the firing pin alone, and I had not failures in the last 300 rounds.

Vlad

Vlad: do you have access to a trigger scale? have you checked where your trigger breaks now?

I used a 17lb hammer spring for a 1911 but its a bit shorter than the spring for the CZ. I was having occasional duds with it. It was down to 5.5lb break in DA and 2.5lb in SA.

I already ordered a reduced power set from brownells but it hasn't arrived yet.

I don't have a trigger scale so I can't help you there. It sure is lighter then with the previous one which was a 18lb but I don't have a good idea what the weight is. The takeup makes it hard for me to estimate it. I'll guess that the SA is about 3.5 but I also have the original untouched hammer/sear and that I am baseing that number of the relative weight compared with my 1911 (4.5lb) but it is a rough thing as they differ greatly in feel. What primers are you using? I'm using Winchester primers with no problems. If you reload, I wonder if you are sitting them deep enough or are you partially sitting them with your firing pin?

Vlad

no it's not the primers. the firing pin spring is not matched with the lightened hammer springs i'm using. i'm using winchester and cci primers and never had a dud prior to the spring swap. i'll just wait for the wolff hammer springs from brownells to arrive and measure the pull.

will keep you informed.

In the meanwhile my problem came back strong. I was shooting one of local matches and they had a 4 classifier plus 2 field courses tyoe of match. After shooting 4 stages with zero problems my next stage was hell, with something like 6 jams. It was a 28rd stage and I took 42 seconds and finished with no mags on my belt and an empty chamber. Argh!

I took the gun apart on the range, cleaned up the guts, the extractor, even the mag release after a budy suggested that maybe the mag is forced upward by the release button. I couldn't find anything strange. The next 2 stages worked flawless. Now I am really confused.

Vlad

I shot a level 2 ipsc match yesterday with the CZ-85B and in one stage, I was again hitting the slide stop with my support hand thumb causing premature slide lock. adjusting my hand so my palm is a little lower on the grip and keeping my thumb floating solved that problem the rest of the match.

The other problem that I encountered before was failure to extract the fired case causing a double feed. Had the extractor spring replaced and now I always look if the claw is full of crud.

These are the two most common problems that I encountered with my CZ.

B)

wow! from your posts, it seems CZ quality seesaws from time to time. i now consider myself lucky with my 85b having occasional pre-mature slidelocks.

vlad,

you mentioned the problem started when you change your load, have you tried going back to your original load and pistol configuration just to verify if its the gun or the loads?

I get my springs directly from Wolff (gunsprings.com). Looking at their website it seems that not only do they ship to the Philippines, they even have shipping rates listed for your home country, $9.25 for a lb. I've been using the 16lb spring for about 600 rounds now with no problems.

Good luck.

Vlad

Heck, I've been shooting mine for years. I don't know if they are out of the packs, but they shipped me a 16lb spring just last week. They might have the individual springs and not the packs?

Vlad

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Vlad:

I have a trigger scale, let me know if you're gonna go to CJ or Sat Steel and I'll bring it. You can email me off-forum.

Also, if your mag lips are bending out too far it could be allowing the next round up to hit the slide stop causing it to engage............If this is possible with a CZ. I'm not sure but this did happen on a P-35 years ago with some aftermarket mags. Do ya think that is possible?

• 3 weeks later...

cz-85b update:

since i ordered the rp hammer spring pak from wolff, i got to experiment some on my cz's DA pull.

i cut a couple of coils off the 16lb wolff hammer spring and ground the ends flat. the resulting hammer spring is shorter by about 1/4in or so. so far i have not experienced any duds/misfires.

measured trigger pull is now down to 6.5-7lbs in DA but it is still 3.5lbs in SA.

how can i get the SA trigger pull down to around 3lbs or below? by polishing the sides of the sear and hammer engagement surfaces?

Not to deviate too dratically. Wolff nor any other company makes a correct recoil spring for my CZ IPSC ST yet they think they do. Wolff seems to thinks that its the same spring as a regular CZ-75 sa, which it isn't, the ST spring is about an inch and half longer and from visual inspection is guestimated at about 14-16 lbs for 40 sw. Okay, so I have to live with the factory spring from CZ for the awesome ST (BTW, I would love to put this gun up against any SV or custom out there, especially in the hands of one of the top guns (not me) - I'll bet huge odds in favor of the CZ ST for $900). Okay, now to confuse matters, my freind Alan D. at Sprinco borrowed my ST so that he could built a Sprinco Recoil Reducer for the gun - he had tons of requests from Europe for the product - Eric Grauffel's buddies who shoot CZ's started the requests. Well, Alan used my ST as his prototype and the unit is now available from Sprinco to ST community (don't forget to keep using the CZ factory buffs with the Sprinco), its a shame not to be able to dial the recoil spring in (lower !) now with the Sprinco because no one makes aftermarket springs in varying lb. ratings. Need custom work for your ST, Andy's Custom Guns - Andy is the man for CZ's. Found him by accident - I'm in PA, he is in Colo. - solid, solid Smith.

Thanks, sorry to stray - vat least I stayed with CZ and springs :blink:

Jon

how can i get the SA trigger pull down to around 3lbs or below? by polishing the sides of the sear and hammer engagement surfaces?

Don't!

Your CZ has a little hammer camming action in the SA mode. Polishing the surfaces might introduce more creep. The only way to really lower it is to re-cut the sear and hammer engagement surfaces and get rid of the camming action. Well,...this worked on my 1911 trigger anyway...:unsure:

Btw, can you postpone fiddling with your CZ on Feb and just use your Para LDA for the mean time? ;):D