Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Silent Captured Spring Vs. JP Low Mass Buffer

Acespeedy

I have an 18 inch dpms rifle length gas barrel with a syrac adj. gas block, F2 Comp, JP low mass bolt, low mass buffer, and nsr rail. I recently received my backordered silent captured buffer, and have three questions before I swap them out.

1. Will the captured spring have the same recoil pulse as the low mass (better or worse)?

2. The instructions recommend that you remove the buffer retainer plunger and spring. It doesn't say you have to, but they recommend it, any experience/issues with leaving it in place. I figured it would be easier to test the recoil/function before I take the time to remove the buffer tube.

3. I also have a 16 inch midlength BCM with a midlength gas system with a Failzero bcg, and a spike t2 buffer. Will changing to the captured spring decrease the recoil in that carbine?

Thanks for the help in advance,

JG

I have the Silent Captured Buffer installed in my DPMS carbine and you can remove and install it with the retainer installed. You have to depress the plunger with a thin object (tip of a knife blade or small flat screwdriver) at a couple of points during install and removal but its just a minor inconvenience. I do plan to remove the plunger the next time that I have the buffer tube removed since I'm going to stick with the SCB longterm. I can't give a comparison to the Low mass buffer because I have never had one but it does a great job of eliminating the buffer spring noise.