Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ IPSC St .40 Recoil Spring

jkushner1

Can anyone provide me with the spring rating (in lbs.) for my CZ IPSC Std. I also emailed CZ USA and posted on CZ Forum

Thanks,

Jon

BTW - Wolff's Browning Hi Power spring selection is the exact length and diameter as the the CZ IPSC St - The EAA Witness springs as Wolff tells you are interchangeable, are almost 1.5" shorter - they work in a regular CZ 75B SA but not the IPSC ST.

In a pinch, just re-temper the stock spring; Johnny (Iron9) explains how to do this for the Standard IPSC on his websight www.strictlyipsc.com - just click on the UK flag for English & look under misc. Thanks for the tip on the BHP springs.

Yes, I believe they use 14 lbs, the same as the other 9 mm 75/85 CZ pistlols.

When my gun was new, I felt it was to light for that heavy slide considering the calibre, and changed it for a 16 lbs Wolf spring. I have used them ever since and I have shot about 70 000 rds with it now (with buffers of course).

Remember to check the length of the spring when you change it with another one. I have always had to cut them down a bit to have them fit. If you are unsure, try without a spring and with the slide to the rear, make a mark with a pencil on the slide and frame. Then try again with the new recoil spring in place to see if the marks align.

Regards

Johnny Nilsson

www.StrictlyIPSC.com

Hey Johnny, if you're noticing some unusually heavy activity in your video downloads, that's me. Great takes! :)

Btw, that Bjork guy can really make the glock sing, can't he? Impressive.

Back on topic, does the CZ IPSC Std share the same recoil spring as the 1911?

Thanks.

Hey Johnny, if you're noticing some unusually heavy activity in your video downloads, that's me.  Great takes! :)

Btw, that Bjork guy can really make the glock sing, can't he? Impressive.

Back on topic, does the CZ IPSC Std share the same recoil spring as the 1911?

Thanks.

You bet! He is outstanding when it comes to Production div with his Glock 17, but he isn't competing in big matches very much right now. He and his wife got their first children last year (full hands - twins). Anyway, he managed to make it to the Nordic Championships in Denmark this year, and won Prod with a 10% margin. In Stand div (Glock 35), he won 3:rd place with almost 98%.

In my video library, you will find world class shooters as well as rookies. But the main goal with the videos is to show newcomers how fun this sport really are. It can also be very educating to see other shooters from another part of the world, although you don't understand their language.

No, it's not the same dimensions as 1911.

Regards

Johnny Nilsson

Johnny/Iron9:

I sent you an email via your web site before I saw your post. Here it is with some additional comments:

I was referred to you by a member from Brian Enos.com. Can you provide me with original factory OEM spring rating (in lbs.) for my CZ IPSC Std..40. Mike Eagleshield from CZ USA emailed back and said dont go below 16lbs (and I did see your note regarding 14lbs., so no need to reply. I am also looking for a source to buy CZ recoil springs besides Wolff that might offer different ratings (i.e. 13/14/15/16/17 lbs.) Also, just an FYI, I just lent my gun to Sprinco (http://www.sprinco.com/) as a prototype for a new recoil reducer for the CZ IPSC ST - they should be ready soon. Apparently, Alan at Sprinco was getting alot of requests from Europe from friends of Eric Grauffel. You still need to use the CZ buffer but recoil control combined with the weight of the gun make the .40 shoot like a 9mm. I went in the opposite direction from you with my safety coming from shooting mainly 1911's - I had my right side safety built up as a thumb rest platform and from a rescomp CR Speed Holster there is no danger of inadvertant safety switching (the best guy for the safety build up is: Andy of Andy's Custom Gun's Golden Colo - AndysCustomGuns@aol.com, send him your stock unit and $85.00). Also, I just had Hakan Pek build me Flame Birch grips that I very caryfully put some partial grip tape on - too pretty to cover up 100% - I owe Hakan some photos. I also have an LPA fiber optic front sight on my ST, I had to buy the set but the rear doesnt work with the ST - a regular CZ 75b yes, an IPSC ST no - so I left the factory LPA rear and put the aftermarket LPA fiber up front. Lastly, with our hi cap ban in the US now gone I need some 16 round mags - can you recommend a reliable source.

Thanks,

Jon (jkushner1)

B)

BTW - Wolff's Browning Hi Power spring selection is the exact length and diameter as the the CZ IPSC St - The EAA Witness springs as Wolff tells you are interchangeable, are almost 1.5" shorter - they work in a regular CZ 75B SA but not the ST."

In addition

In celebration of the sunset (restoration of our rights) I built a 140MM magazine for the Standard IPSC: site1008.JPG

To duplicate this mag, you will 1st need a CZ replacement tube, mag spring & follower from cz-usa.com at 800-955 4486. Maje sure to ask specifically for the 16 round replacement tube for the Standard IPSC. It may be possible to bend STI/SV magsprings to fit - looks promising but I have not accomplished that yet so use CZ's springs. They might also have complete mags now; thier CZ75B/85 mags (which will NOT fit) are available for $37.

Next, you will need to buy 140 mm basepads from www.taylorfreelance.com. Robin called me personally to discuss these mags as they will not fit w/o modicifation to the area of the mag with the retention system. I opted to mill off the rear of the baspad & use an internal, U-shaped sheet metal retainer.

This should yeild a reliable, 18 round 140mm magazine. Is 19 possible? I believe so but I need to do more mag r&d for that.

Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com

Johnny/Iron9:

I am also looking for a source to buy CZ recoil springs besides Wolff that might offer different ratings (i.e. 13/14/15/16/17 lbs.)

Also, just an FYI, I just lent my gun to Sprinco (http://www.sprinco.com/) as a prototype for a new recoil reducer for the CZ IPSC ST - they should be ready soon. Apparently, Alan at Sprinco was getting alot of requests from Europe from friends of Eric Grauffel. You still need to use the CZ buffer but recoil control combined with the weight of the gun make the .40 shoot like a 9mm.

Lastly, with our hi cap ban in the US now gone I need some 16 round mags - can you recommend a reliable source.

Thanks,

Jon (jkushner1)

B)

BTW - Wolff's Browning Hi Power spring selection is the exact length and diameter as the the CZ IPSC St - The EAA Witness springs as Wolff tells you are interchangeable, are almost 1.5" shorter - they work in a regular CZ 75B SA but not the ST."

Sorry, I don't know of any other other source than Wolff.

Very good news about Sprinco. I have been in contact with them several times about this issue. Last time they had measured a gun but couldn't locate any gun owner who could lend it to them for testing. We should all thank you for lending them yours.

http://p201.ezboard.com/fczechpistols82792...picID=229.topic Here is a link to another forum adressing this issue with 16 rds mags and extensions.

There are probably some other springs with the same dimensions, but make sure they fit inside the gun, like I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Regards

Johnny Nilsson

Update: I just spoke with Robin Taylor, inventor of the magazine extension pictured above & he has re-designed the keeper to more closely resemble the one on his Glock magazine extensions. An added benefit of the re-design is to allow the mag to fully seat without modification. In addition, Robin mentioned that these basepads are made from super strong Delrin polymer that is actually more costly to use than the more common 6061 T-6 or 7075 T6 aluminum alloy. Great product at a great price.

Douglas

USPSA TY44934

NROI

www.shootersparadise.com

Just rec'd this email from Mike Eagleshield - CZ USA

"From : Mike Eagleshield <gunsmith@cz-usa.com>

Sent : Tuesday, September 21, 2004 7:43 AM

To : "'Jon Kushner'" <jkushner1@hotmail.com>

Subject : RE: Recoil Spring Rating for CZ IPSC Standard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, they are $45.00 each and can be ordered with a visa/mastercard by calling 1-800-955-4486

(mon-fri).

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:27 PM

To: gunsmith@cz-usa.com

Subject: RE: Recoil Spring Rating for CZ IPSC Standard

Mike:

With US Hi Cap ban gone, I want to buy some 16 round mags for IPSC ST, can

you help.

Thanks,

Jon"

Thanks,

jkushner1 :D

I bought 4 new mag springs for my IPSC Stand at EC in Czech Rebublic recently. They where one coil "longer" than the original springs and should be ideal for the extensions that are mentioned here. I had to clip one coil off from my new springs to have them fit my +2 IPSC legal extensions.

Regards

Johnny Nilsson