Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Roklock

roklock

Well I have been debating creating one and finally going to do it.

I first started shooting USPSA back in the late 90's but it was only a brief stint as other things became a higher priority. So mid last year I came back and dabbled in it for a while thinking this would be my year. Well that didn't happen being forced to change jobs and not having the "free" time I thought I would have.

Again, time will be the biggest issue from preventing me to reach the goals this year and the possibility that 3gun could become a bigger obsession than just handgun.

So this year I will carry over my goals from 2012 but tweak them for 2013. Right now my my division of choice is Limited.

My original goals for 2012 were to improve from D to A and to win in each class as I progress. This year my goal will be to obtain B class and wins in every class I get classified in.

I lowered it a little knowing I will be attending some 3gun matches and also taking some time to get "acquainted" with each gun.

During the winter my goal is to dry fire 4-5 days a week and depending on weather hopefully a live fire session every other weekend if not every weekend.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by roklock

Today I got to the range sunny and 41, best I am going to see over the next 2 months.

Today, the first 90 minutes was live fire using my dry fire drills. The second 90 minutes was all about my "new to me" AR I got off another member here about 4 weeks ago. Today it was just getting familiar with the gun and sighting it in. I got a MTAC and PEPR mount and got it sighted in to 50 yards and played with it doing transitions. Was hoping to get it zero'd to 100 yards but winds were picking up to roughly 15mph with gusts going higher and I want my windage to be zero'd in calmer settings.

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted...

Been doing dry fire 4-5 times a week. Anxious to do some live fire practice but that will probably have to wait a few more weeks as ranges are snow covered. Got my reloads down to 1.2-1.3 consistently. Practice transitions but don't know how to really tell if I am making progress, any suggestions?

Also with 3gun in mind I started practicing reloads this week. Using the twin load for now to get a rhythm but want to master the quad load. Not sure what to practice with the rifle yet but know transitions are key. Thinking I might have to do them via live fire.

Well after blowing off a match today, 10 degrees this morning, I am thinking about heading to the range for live fire practice this afternoon. Suppose to hit a balmy 35 degrees today. Want to get some rifle and pistol practice in today if all goes well.

Got to get a tripod for my video camera so I can start taking vids of my practice sessions to get some feedback on form and where to work on improvements.

Also bought two CoC (T & #1) to try and improve grip strength. Wow! My grip is extremely weak. Just started on Thursday but can only manage 4 sets of 8 with the T and then I am finishing off by holding the #1 for as long as I can (about 20-25 seconds) in each hand (1 set). Planning on doing this 4 days a week.

Open to other suggestions on how to use them...

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am really struggling to improve my transition times. I am trying a drill to get my "cadence" to match my splits. Targets are 12 to 15 yards apart and I stand in the middle about 8-10 yards back.

I am snapping my eyes to the next target and the first shot is a C either to the right or left of the A zone. With the majority where I am pulling the trigger too soon. If my splits are .25-.30 then I am having a hard time getting my transitions below 1.0. I have tried splits between .40-.50 and my transitions have gone to .80.

What can be done to get my transitions smoother? Maybe a specific drill that could help?