Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Criterion "pencil" barrels?

michael1778

I'm not trying to drive any business to the web site in this URL. I'm only using it to provide a foundation for my question and any of your responses. I was having trouble matching this page data with the main Criterion product pages.

Has anyone had any experience with the "pencil" barrels on this web page? The second (16") and third (20") barrels on the page. 0.625" at the gas block and fairly thin the whole length by the photo.

http://www.fulton-ar...15-barrels.aspx

I'm looking at the 2013 season schedule for Tarheel 3-gun and wondering about the long rifle targets in April. I'm switching to a 16" barreled rifle for most 2013 matches (hooray) but thinking that a modest 20" upper for the April match (targets at 400+ yards over 2.5 days) could be a worthwhile investment. Perhaps I could use it for other long range work like a designated marksman match, also? 18" doesn't seem worth the effort for only 2 more inches.

Anyway, I wanted to get the question out to the community. I know Criterion barrels are generally well regarded, but I wasn't sure if this particular profile was going too thin for 3-gun. I might even try building the upper myself...... :devil:

Thank You Everyone,

Mike

Edited by michael1778

Good barrels. Like Original M16 barrels. So, not necessarily any better for the 400+ shots in 3 Gun. M16s are reliable to about 300 yds shooting maybe 15 shots- a typical "sniper stage". A certain barrel and/or gun in M16 or SP1 configuration may shoot better than that. But unless you have a rack of two or three hundred to test fire-good luck. On full auto with heat waves coming off, forget it. CC only. Make an upper and see if you like it. You might really like it. I have an SP1 that is awesome. I don't use it for three gun-maybe for Nationals this year. Good luck.

OK, thanks. Criterion seemed to be implying better accuracy than GI-issue barrels from their line of products. I'll have to dig in more about them. Benny Hill and co over at his shop use Criterion barrels in many applications. I think I'll ring them up. Perhaps they can make the upper instead of me.