Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer slide - correct position before the toolhead comes down?

Ever catch yourself in a moment where you're not sure if you have a problem, or just failed to notice something for years?

I had a few issues while priming 9mm brass, and while trying to diagnose the problem, I observed something that I should bloody well know but don't.

When the primer slide returns under the shellplate, is it supposed to come to rest in it's final position in line with the primer punch, or is normal for the toolhead indexing pin to pull it slightly forward?

I assumed if the primer arm was adjusted properly, it would come to rest in it's final position. When I started to try and adjust the height and angle of the primer arm, I quicky concluded that wasn't going to happen with my current parts. As the toolhead comes down, the surface on the primer arm that engages the pin that would support the ratchet loses contact before the primer slide is 100% forward. It parks the slide a little less than an 1/8 inch shy. The tool head indexing pin draws the slide into final position.

It does it smoothly. The primer problem I was having was due to too light a swage on some crimped brass and a new primer station locating tab. The primer slide observation is a secondary concern.