Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super to 9

bk94

I shot 20 matches this year with a 38 Super. Each of my open guns were made by knowing gunsmiths. Not one jam of any open pistol.I also put all the open guns with Cheely Scope Mounts. I like them very much. I hate the price of the brass and it usually lays on the ground after the match. I just pay for new brass every year and that is the price for this sport. I found many years ago about open guns. I have said before I send my gunsmiths Turkeys every Christmas day.

I converted 3 38SC guns to 9 major. There is only one good reason to do this, and that is you don't want to pick up brass, other wise you are way ahead just keeping it 38S. Paint your 38SC/S brass with Dikem, you will be suprised how few you will lose and at how many times you can reload them. I bought a 1,000 38SC shot 38SC for 3 years 8 matches a month and have 5,000 or so on hand, yeah, I RO a lot of major matches, still pick them up. I will not pickup my 9 majors and tell others to at their own risk.

I shot 2 years of 9 major now and have bught about 40k pices of brass at @ $.025 each or $1000 say $500 a year for brass.

If you have an unlimted supply of good once fired brass near free then maybe it makes sense.

Loading skank 9 mm brass is a lot harder than loading good 38S brass, you use it once let it go. It is eaiser to keep a 38S gun running and the load options are nearly endless.

Ok that said since my guns were 38SC I retained the extractor (Aftec), had a smith fit new barrels and comps, put spacers in the STI mags, no changes to svi mags the guns run 100%.

I can put my 38S barrel and comp back in the guns at any time and shoot 38SC, no problem, just re-zero the C-more.

I enjoy not picking up brass, gives me more time to enjoy the match, if I wanted to save money I'd stay home, and knit.

What makes you think knitting is cheap????? Do you knit??? I love my Infinity .38 Supercomp and it will remain .38 Supercomp. Expensive is as expensive does. It is my most accurate gun, my favorite gun, and the one I would choose if I were with Butch and Sundance in Bolivia. Knitting is very expensive.