Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloader 15 vs. AR COMP accuracy

Steve D.

Hello Gent's,

Any input or real-world experience of how AR-Comp should / does compare to RL-15 when running 69 g. Nosler CC's in a 1-8 twist, 18" barrel? Not interested in Varget as I may as well put pop-corn kernels in the PTX measure. Sometimes so bad it "cones" the sized neck with up-stroke force to shear the powder grannules. Just too much of a hassle.

Also curious of kernel make-up for progressive loading powder measure of the two powders? I can get Benchmark to stay spot-on or 1/10th up-down, but not even close with that stinking Varget!

WOA lists RL15 as the best 69 g. bullet accuracy-powder in very strong words. I think that was written before AR Comp came to market. If AR-C is as consistent at launching the bullets AND has great Temp. characteristics I will probably go that way. I just need some security on the "Bug-Hole" making capabilitiy of this powder.

I want to start loading & shooting just 1 load but I want it to be as good as Possibel for small-group, bench shooting at from 100 - 400 Yds.

I can't plink at my range and all I do is shoot for groups... I know, get a bolt-gun..., but I LIKE shooting my hi-precision AR! :D

Standing By & Thanks for all input.

Hi Mbauer67,

I tried to stick the link below but it may require a cut-paste. This is in the White Oak Precision part of their site and refferences 69 g. BTHP's specifically. These are the bullets that I want to move to for Everything. I'm tired of 52-53's for this 60's for that etc. I just want to cook-up the most accurate "bug-hole eating" 69g. Nos. load I possibly can for 100-350 yds, and would Really like it to not be sensitive to Temp.

These S. FL Summers are crazy Humid and Hot!

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

Any thoughts on my "quest"?

Thanks, Steve

Moderator: I hope I didn't scew-up by pasting a link to that other site's info. If so I apologize.

Thanks for the link, one thing I can say about getting 223 rounds to go into one hole, is that Sierra bullets are the best out there, I have tried the nosler stuff and it was not even close to the Sierra 77's. of course Iprobably gotten better groups with some additional load development, but why when my 77SMK and 23.7 gr of TAC is super accurate in my WOA barrel

Hi Mbauer67,

It is interesting to hear you are getting bench-rest accuracy with TAC. I never really gave that powder the respect that it probably deserves. Does TAC have the same tiny "ball bearings" kernels of their X-Terminator? My aim in this One-Load only quest it to get the best metering, yet most Temp. Stable, bech-rest accuracy combo I can put together and STOP @&$?ing around with loading experimentation every time I sit down at the bench.

I am pretty sure the next pound will be 8208-XBR as I really like what I am reading from others so far. Somebody posted a picture for me on another site showing Varget, RL-15 and XBR kernels on a sheet of paper next to each other which was a big help in comparing things. XBR looks like Benchmark's Tiny Cylinders which has worked really well for me in 53 g. VMAX's and it METERED within 0.1 all the time in my LNL-AP.

I am also goings to have to put 200 Nosler CC 69's down the pipe because I bought them already and used 50 to load AR- COMP experiment. Haven't shot them yet but I already know I won't be replacing the pound of AR-C.... 0.1 - 0.3 gr. in Charge Consitentcy at Best...NOT interested... It's better than Varget but the size of the "extruded cylinders" are still not ideal for progressive metering. I probably don't shoot the distances that you do so I am hoping the 69's should keep me good from 100 - 300 yds at least. Rarely will I ever have a chance to shoot longer than that without a serious road-trip. I'm counting on the 69's to group at least as well and buck the wind better than the 53 VMAX (which do shoot to about 1/2 min. at 100 in my gun).

We are both shooting throu good barrels (WOA and Shillen) so we should be able to get similar results. Is your twist 1-8 as well? What length?

Thanks again for input and see you back here sometime probably soon.

SD

I wouldn't say I am getting bench rest accuracy, but TAC has been very good for me, I have shot out to 600yds. And yes TAC is about the same size ball powder as x-term.

I'm shooting an 18" light/ med profile barrel, they cut to my specs. 1-7 twist

There are a lot of guys that have have good success with numerous different powders, TAC, H4895, RE-15,Varget, and the list goes on. But there is really no way around developing a load for gun and needs.

Edited by Mbauer67