Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Super Swage 600

Onepocket

What I usually do every time a re-set up my super swage, is to swage a couple of pieces, and then using a hand primer (I bought a Lee unit for just this) see how easy the primers go in. If its difficult to insert them, I'll set the swager in a bit further. I found that this is the easiest way to make sure that you don't over swage and find out after you did 2000 of them.

... to make sure that you don't over swage and find out after you did 2000 of them.

What happens if you over swage? I've been pretty paranoid about setting up my Super Swage and even called Dillon. I'd read that it's possible to damage the web but the Dillon rep said I wouldn't do that.

If you over swage, the primer pocket is going to be too loose. Worst case scenario, for what im loading, is the primers could come out and create a stoppage inside a firearm.

You can tell if you are over swaging. You may be able to seat a primer by hand. You may be able to rattle a primer loose after seating by tapping it on your bench. Get 30 pieces of brass and play with it. You'll destroy some before you get it right, but its no harder to figure out than a sizing die.